(deactivated member)
on 6/25/17 10:45 pm, edited 5/22/18 10:23 pm

PattyL
on 6/26/17 10:35 am

Men tend to do better than women! They lose more faster and have fewer problems keeping it off. Sounds to me like your honeymoon is not over yet. Things will continue to change over time. The time will probably come when you can gain again so you are doing the right thing by trying to eat right.

PeteA
on 6/27/17 7:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Some people seem to have that experience forever. Not me. At 4 years out while I can still be pretty loose on my food intake I can pack on pounds if I don'****ch. Try and limit the eating you know is bad for you not eliminate it.

While I adapt their point scale to my DS I find WW a good place to stay focused. I never really want to be that big guy again.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/17 5:45 pm
Donna L.
on 6/27/17 6:16 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's good to limit sugar for reasons other than weight loss. Insulin is highly inflammatory, and you can still have boatloads of issues even without weight gain. The damage can be silent for years. I've seen people who were skinny as a rail who were metabolic disasters on the inside. So, there are absolutely more negatives other than gas. Even with the improved metabolism from the bypass part of the DS, you still are at the mercy of some biochemistry. :)

As for "no willpower," if being obese was a matter of willpower, fewer people would be obese. Something always drives behavior, whether it's emotion, habit, or another factor. Process addictions, like eating, develop in response to the absence of other things, usually.

Human beings are dynamic in that we are crafted from a variety of genetic backgrounds, exist in a multitude of different environments, and have many factors which affect our obesity and nuances.

WLS success is partially surgery dependent, but also environment and behavior dependent, too. I've seen patients from every single surgery gain weight and be miserable. I've seen VSG patients lose 300-400 pounds and keep it off, and I've seen DS patients regain 150 pounds. How long we've been obese matters, as well as gender, genetics, medications, and, again, that ever-annoying environmental influence. Then, that's one of the oldest arguments in psychology about outcomes: which is stronger, nature versus nurture?

Obesity may be caused by over-consumption and hormonal dysregulation, however it's always behavior that fuels it. That doesn't mean we are at fault, but as I examine my own revision at the end of the year, I wonder how much of my own behavior and choices are a result of my "lack" of weight loss. It's an interesting contemplation.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/27/17 6:43 pm
My "honeymoon" period lasted for 8 years. Then I slowly gained like 20 lbs over the next 3. I had to low carb to lose the weight.

But I typically eat whatever I want.

Scott
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/17 6:36 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 310 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 775 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views