Just made up my mind to go forward with DS

Katetolov
on 7/10/17 8:17 am

I'm a band patient who's had a hernia and three revisions. I lost 120 pounds but needless to say the bad was pure hell over all ... moving onto the next chapter I feel like I can only have so many surgeries and I just need to do it right. From everything I have learned I wish I had done a DS from the start. So little information is out there now that I've learned it's less than 3% of all surgeries possibly even fewer.

At that said this really boggles my mind that that's the case because this seems to be a superior procedure for the right person.

I'm going to Dr Rabkin. I know he does the DS not the SIPs procedure .... I wish there was an option to choose however I'm going to go with his wisdom in that.

Otherwise I am super excited!

larra
on 7/10/17 10:56 am - bay area, CA

I'm sorry you had to go through so much to get to this point, but glad you are now here. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities. And you've found one of the best and most experienced DS surgeons out there, so that's also a big plus for you. I think you will have a lot of success with your DS.

Larra

Janet P.
on 7/10/17 11:02 am

Not sure what his typical CC length is, but you could always talk to him about giving you a longer CC (if that's what you're interested in). I honestly don't know much about SIPs (or SADI) but I think it's all about the CC length.

Most surgeons honestly don't like the DS because patients aren't willing to comply with the "DS rules" - the vitamin commitment, high protein, lab work, etc. It's also a fairly complicated surgery and takes a skilled surgeon (of which Rabkin is one).

Definitely discuss with Rabkin.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Katetolov
on 7/10/17 11:20 am

Thank you both so very much! And I will ask him about a longer I guess it's called comen channel? It's amazing how fearful I am. Every little thing causes me to freeze LOL but this board is really helpful again thank you both!!

PattyL
on 7/10/17 8:32 pm

Good for you and Rabkin is a great surgeon. If I had it to do over the only thing I would want is a shorter Common Channel. Unless you have a really good reason to want a longer one, go as short as possible. Easier to lose and easier to keep it off.

Valerie G.
on 7/11/17 11:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You cannot go wrong with Rabkin!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Katetolov
on 7/11/17 1:05 pm

This is wonderful news to hear about him! Meeting him was a pleasure. Given the nature of everything that I've been through I figured I had to One of the best.

Thanks again everyone :-)

Crazeru
on 7/12/17 5:07 pm

Rabkin did mine over 9 years ago. My common channel is 100cm, like 3'. I pretty much stay in the 140's and have since 8 months out. You are in good hands. I don't get down to the monthly meetings much anymore. We do a dinner here in Sacramento on the 3rd Thur. Lately, it's been at The Roadhouse off Sunrise.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views