Advice following DS surgery for a friend

aprilee1976
on 7/13/17 9:45 am

Hello.

My name is April and a friend of mine had the DS surgery on May 29. Since her surgery, she has not been able to keep any fluids or her medicine's down (vomiting, diarrhea) and she is also not able to each much if anything at all.

She is severely depressed as one of the med's she cannot keep down is an anti-depressant. I'm extremely worried for her and am seeking advice on what I could possibly do to help her (other than be there for her).

Did anyone that had this surgery experience these types of issues? She has been to the cancer center to have infusion of fluids, steroids and her meds once, and she felt a little better afterwards and for a few days, however, it has gone back down hill since then.

Any direction or advice is extremely appreciated.

Thank you from a concerned friend.

April

ILoveFlowers
on 7/13/17 12:21 pm

I was in and out of the hospital for 45 days after my DS surgery. I had extreme nausea, vomiting, and extreme weakness. Vomiting causes dehydration, which in turn causes nausea and weakness. It got to the point that they put me on a heart monitor because the dehydration and vomiting was causing irregular heartbeats and extremely high blood pressure. A group of friends prayed for me at their prayer group meeting. I got better and now I'm doing great. Plus, my doctor was proactive and did his best to really take good care of me. Lots of vitamin shots and IV's, plus anti-nausea medications. One of the main things I had issue with was that my potassium would bottom out. I can't tell you how many bags of potassium they gave me. My doctor said that only one out of a thousand patient's bodies reacts the way my body did. It sucked, but it got better. Let her know she's not alone. It happens. It sucks, then it gets better. Ice chips help--a lot. As long as she's being monitored by her doctor, she will eventually get better. She has to fight to stay hydrated. We set a timer. Every five minutes I would take a couple of sips, eat a few ice chips, and eventually it worked. I feel for her. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

aprilee1976
on 7/13/17 1:48 pm

Thank you so much for the information. It is really helpful.

larra
on 7/13/17 4:37 pm - bay area, CA

It is very good of you to try to help your friend, and she's lucky to have you in her life. But, where is her surgeon in all this? Granted this is unusual, but it does happen (see the other poster's comments above) and the surgeon's role doesn't end as he or she walks out of the OR.

I hope your friend is in touch with her surgeon, and that every effort is being made to help her stay hydrated and keep her meds down. Even if that is all that can be achieved, at least for the moment, it will help her to feel better. I am hopeful that, with time, her problems will resolve, but in the meantime her surgeon (and pcp) should be making every effort to help her.

Larra

QueenBee7
on 7/14/17 8:35 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Ditto what the others have already said.....

In addition, I cannot stress enough the importance of promoting a close relationship with your friends PCP and Bariatric Surgeon. There are creative ways for your friend to stay hydrated, and maintain her vitamin and protein levels even when she can't do it on her own. Her doctors can aide her in this process. In-home healthcare is available.

A PICC(Peripherally inserted central catheter) line can be placed to give her parenteral nutrition (medicines, fluids, nutrients, or blood products) during this difficult time. Parenteral Nutrition saved my life.

Your friend can use this option to aide in her bodies adjustment post DS surgery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend. With commitment and dedication recovery is inevitable.

I hope this information is helpful.

Janet P.
on 7/17/17 10:45 am

She has to stay hydrated. As others asked - where is her surgeon? Can she keep anything down? Is she trying to take her meds whole? Can she crush them and take them in a few bits of food - apple sauce, cottege cheese, etc.?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

aprilee1976
on 7/18/17 5:28 am

Thank you all for the information. I decided to come and stay with her to help her out and help with her son. Since I have been here, she has been able to keep some meds and foods down. She is still not able to eat much, says when she does, it feels like it's 'stuck' in her throat/upper chest and causes her really bad heartburn. She is going back to see her surgeon today so hopefully he will have some answers for her. She has mainly been communicating via email with her nutritionist but has seen her surgeon and his PAs 4 or 5 times since her surgery. I'm hoping we get answers today that will help her continue to get better.

Again, thank you all for your advise.

April

Janet P.
on 7/18/17 6:42 am
On July 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM Pacific Time, aprilee1976 wrote:

Thank you all for the information. I decided to come and stay with her to help her out and help with her son. Since I have been here, she has been able to keep some meds and foods down. She is still not able to eat much, says when she does, it feels like it's 'stuck' in her throat/upper chest and causes her really bad heartburn. She is going back to see her surgeon today so hopefully he will have some answers for her. She has mainly been communicating via email with her nutritionist but has seen her surgeon and his PAs 4 or 5 times since her surgery. I'm hoping we get answers today that will help her continue to get better.

Again, thank you all for your advise.

April

She's only going to be able to eat a couple of bites of food at any one time. Her surgeon should have prescribed some kind of nausea medication along with some type of heartburn meds - I think I was given Nexium (back then it was prescription only). Hope she gets some answers from her surgeon.

You're a very good friend :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

aprilee1976
on 7/18/17 8:18 am

Thanks Janet.

I believe he did prescribe her heartburn and nausea meds but she wasn't able to keep them down for a while. She is now, so hopefully this will start to help her.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 309 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views