Considering d. Switch

Anna10
on 7/15/17 6:57 am

Hi

i had the sleeve and I never lost a lot of weight with it. Also feel I stretch it do to my husband being diagnosed with terminal cancer. I gained weight back and just didn't care. I am doing 5 day pouch test to try to reset it but if it doesn't work I am off to doc. I know he will suggest next step which is d switch. I do have irritable bowel so I am nervous about it. I weigh about 240 and I want to change this. Please tell me your experience with the surgery and recovery. Thanks

larra
on 7/15/17 2:38 pm - bay area, CA

I am very sorry about your husband. It's easy to set aside your own health when caring for a loved one who is seriously ill. You are not alone.

The pouch test is going to be useless for you because you don't have a pouch. That's part of gastric bypass, and even then I'm not at all sure that the pouch test is of any value. But for someone with a sleeve, which is completely different from a pouch, there is really no potential value in it.

I never had irritable bowel so can't speak from personal experience on that, but I've seen a lot of other posts over the years and some people do about the same, some actually say they do better after the DS, and some worse. I don't think anyone can predict for you how you will fare.

As far as recovery went, my biggest problem was exhaustion. I didn't find the operation very painful, but others have. Again I can't predict how you will do. The best advice I can offer is to make very sure you have an experienced DS surgeon and that you are getting the real DS and not one of the new "modified DS" procedures that go by a variety of names - loop DS, SADI, SIPS, etc - unless for some reason that's what you want AND your insurance will cover it. Many won't as these new operations are experimental.

Larra

cchall
on 7/19/17 11:56 am

Hi, I had the DS on June 7th and I also had IBS...since my surgery I haven't had any problems with the IBS which has been wonderful so far. I choose the DS because I want the best chance not to regain my weight later on. I also made sure I had the original DS!! I wish you all the best!!

Carol

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 785 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views