RYN Revision to DS Complications

dcopehp
on 7/27/17 9:22 pm, edited 7/28/17 8:43 am - New York, NY

I had my first appointment about the possibility of doing a revision from a RYN to a DS. I was told that complications can be as high as 1 in 20. Has anyone had complications? OR have you had a revision without complications? Would love to hear your experience!

thanks!

MajorMom
on 7/28/17 2:06 am - VA

I think 1 in 20 is a pretty high rate but that may range from minimal to severe complications. Most I've read about over the 10 years I've been here have been successful in the long run. Granted any surgery has risks and revisions a little more so. Make the best decision you can for you. Stay calm and be determined. Good luck.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 7/28/17 8:49 am - bay area, CA

One in 20 is only 5%. For an operation as big and complex as RNY to DS revision, that's actually a very low number. I've seen figures higher than that for a virgin DS.

On the other hand, these are very personal decisions, and maybe 5% seems huge to you. You will have to weigh that level of risk vs the level of risk you face now with your current weight and whatever comorbidities and negative quality of life you are living with.

Larra

PeteA
on 8/1/17 8:52 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That seems high to me too but you would probably be better off getting a breakdown of what they characterize as complications. Really the only stat I looked at pre-op in that area was the mortality stats for the DS overall and my surgeon in particular. Maybe I was being too optimistic but it worked out OK for me.

It wasn't a revision though so there may be more issues than I'm aware of. That was just my thinking going in.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 8/2/17 1:35 pm

The RNY to DS revision is a very complicated surgery. Perhaps if a surgeon is not as qualified, then the complication rate can be higher. You need to make sure your surgeon is an expert at revision - not just the DS but the RNY to DS revision. Find out how many he has done and how many complications his patients have had.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Karenchase
on 8/8/17 2:32 pm - Bossier City, LA

I'm looking for a surgeon that does this procedure. Who do you know of?

Mary_Alida
on 8/9/17 1:40 am - HOldenville, OK

best 1 in OK. From all I've researched there's a DR that's ALL he does. He's doctor Keit

Karenchase
on 8/9/17 4:48 pm - Bossier City, LA

Can you give me more information about Dr Keit? Is that his last name or is it Keith something...I can't find Dr Keit.

Mary_Alida
on 8/9/17 5:23 pm - HOldenville, OK

Sorry I don't have his name with me right now because got admitted to hospital due to bowel difficulties. The dr I'm talking about is in Pasadena, CA. When I can get online more I'll send his name I do know it starts with a K

Mary_Alida
on 8/9/17 5:27 pm - HOldenville, OK

Dr. Keshishini is the closest I can come at this time

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 271 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 101 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1033 views