Preparation for DS surgery

adam101
on 2/3/18 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all i wld like to thank everyone who answered all my questions n cleared my doubts in my first post, i was overwhelmed by ur advises n replies.

My surgery is not yet scheduled, it may take up to 6 months but i have already started thinking abt all the details before and after the surgery. My biggest concern is how to recover from the surgery when i am totally alone!! From the moment i leave the hospital on day 2, will i be capable to dress, hold my bag, take a taxi and go back home alone? Will i be able to get in and out of a taxi with no problem while i am having this problem now? What abt at home, will i survive with my own? if yes, what should i do to make my place as safe as possible for me? What i should include in my shopping and grocery list before surgery? can i prepare some soups n put them in fridge? what to eat during 0-3 weeks after surgery? cottage cheese? Greek yogurt? how long it takes me to move with no pain?

All these problems won't stop me to do the surgery!! i dont think it's not gonna be worse of what i am suffering of being super obese!!

Adam

hollykim
on 2/3/18 12:30 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 3, 2018 at 8:17 PM Pacific Time, adam101 wrote:

Hello everyone,

First of all i wld like to thank everyone who answered all my questions n cleared my doubts in my first post, i was overwhelmed by ur advises n replies.

My surgery is not yet scheduled, it may take up to 6 months but i have already started thinking abt all the details before and after the surgery. My biggest concern is how to recover from the surgery when i am totally alone!! From the moment i leave the hospital on day 2, will i be capable to dress, hold my bag, take a taxi and go back home alone? Will i be able to get in and out of a taxi with no problem while i am having this problem now? What abt at home, will i survive with my own? if yes, what should i do to make my place as safe as possible for me? What i should include in my shopping and grocery list before surgery? can i prepare some soups n put them in fridge? what to eat during 0-3 weeks after surgery? cottage cheese? Greek yogurt? how long it takes me to move with no pain?

All these problems won't stop me to do the surgery!! i dont think it's not gonna be worse of what i am suffering of being super obese!!

Adam

yes you will be able to take care of yourself.

No no you will not be discharged from the hospital to go home in a taxi. The hospital will require a real person to be present to take you home.

adam101
on 2/3/18 12:36 pm

Ty very much for ur answer.. glad to hear that i will be able to take care of myself.

what if i dont have this real person to present to take me home? will they keep me in the hospital or what?

PattyL
on 2/3/18 2:10 pm

They will probably force you into some kind of rehabilitation place. Better that you make arrangements yourself and just pay someone to pick you up and take you home!!!

adam101
on 2/3/18 2:32 pm

Good idea, i'll ask abt it

ty very much

hollykim
on 2/3/18 4:07 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM Pacific Time, adam101 wrote:

Ty very much for ur answer.. glad to hear that i will be able to take care of myself.

what if i dont have this real person to present to take me home? will they keep me in the hospital or what?

they will not discharge you without a real person. In theory, you would have to stay till a real person is there. In practice, I don't know what they would do, but you need to be prepared somehow.

adam101
on 2/3/18 6:14 pm, edited 2/3/18 10:35 am

i talked to the nurse abt it but then i changed the topic and asked her another question.. i was afraid to postpone the surgery date till i could find someone.. this is exactly what happened when they canceled my appointment for a telescopic test because there was no one to go with me to the lab... i waited for this test 1 n half year n then it was cancelled for this reason..

PattyL
on 2/3/18 10:05 pm

Call a home health care service or a medical transport service.

adam101
on 2/3/18 10:25 pm

ty very very much .. i ve never known abt these services before.. i checked it online.. they r both available in my city.. glad to know abt it

Janet P.
on 2/8/18 10:22 am

Adam - if your surgery is going to be done laparoscopic, once you get home you should be fine - maybe get someone to check on you or hire a home health aide for that. My sister stayed with me. She's disabled so she wasn't able to help me much but she was there for me. She went to the pharmacy for me and ran to the grocery store. She stayed for 3-4 days until I finally told her to go home. It helped me to be able to get up and move around. All this is moot if you are having an open surgery. The recovery time from that is much more intensive because in addition to recovery from the DS surgery you're also recovering from a huge external scar. With the lap DS you almost have to keep reminding yourself that you had MAJOR surgery.

They will absolutely not discharge you from the hospital unless something is there with you.

Every surgeon has different instructions. The first couple of weeks you're relying only very soft foods. Some surgeons even have you on full liquids for a while - broths, jello - things like that. Sugar free ice pops are good. Once you get into the soft food stage, cottage cheese, yogurt, soft scrambled eggs. Don't prepare too much ahead of time. When we say "eat" we're literally talking a couple of spoonfuls of food - maybe an ounce of food at a time.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 311 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 776 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views