vitamins with very fatty & oily meals

MargaretMary
on 4/28/19 12:38 am

Reminder: Iron should only be taken with Vitamin C.... no other supplements. No caffeine... basically nothing 2 hrs before or 2 hours after. I take mine in the middle of the night when I wake up to pee. I set the clock, but always wake up before the alarm so I can shut it off and not wake Hubby.

Crazeru
on 6/24/18 9:48 pm

I was taking 50k of D 3x/day with my meals... my D went down not up. I started taking my D in the middle of the night and within a few months my D went from 62 to 120. I now take my D early in the morning a few hours before any food. I'm back to just taking 1-50k of D now.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/18 12:08 pm

Not only fat but fiber. Eating high fiber meal and taking vitamins and minerals... nope. Not a good idea IMO.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PeteA
on 6/27/18 6:23 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

A couple of things. There is a DS surgeon Dr. Keseshian in California that used to have regular web casts. Hs said the dry vitamins are probably best take on an empty stomach with plenty of liquids. I do those first thing in the morning (usually around 6) and then wait at least 2 hours before breakfast. Usually 1 each biotech A, D, and K. With my 2nd 50k of D in the evening. I do water, crystal light, and tea.

As for taking with fat, see above, but if you are taking enough fat that your bowels respond quicker than usual then you aren't getting the benefit you should. Sometimes extra fat makes me go quicker. Kind of like a rich steak in my pre-op days. It's not a matter so much of the fat prevents you from absorbing but it may cause less time available for the vitamins to be absorbed.

I used to think taking the fat solubles with fat was just a misunderstanding of the process but I think it may help with the non-dry formulations. You do have to have an adequate amount of fat in your system from your regular diet but it doesn't have to be taken at the same time as the dry vits. As for fiber it just lessens the absorption for a lot of things, iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium. Just my opinion but as long as ther isn't a lot of fiber in the meal, unless you are fighting a deficiency, then you are OK. There were plenty of times I had some crackers with or after my iron because it sometimes bothered my stomach.

for other than the "dry" formulations I don't think you have to wait at all in between eating fatty foods and taking your other vitamins, unless, as stated above it speeds up your bowels. I'm 5 years out and I'm rarely in a position where I think something I ate will empty quickly and if it happens I don't worry about it since I'm faithful every day and my numbers are OK.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

krishna
on 9/2/18 11:32 am

Thanks so much for your replies!

for now, I'm taking my vits with food and protein shakes, and make sure there is not too much fat (i use less oil when cooking). And during my other meals, without my vits, i use more oil.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 418 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 859 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 277 views