Xpost-question to revisees from the band to RNY

Barb H.
on 3/29/12 6:18 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I revised from the band to RNY on January 25. I have lost 32 pounds. I know how dangerous and futile it is to compare but since I gained back 50 of the 45 pounds I lost with the band, there remains the fear that this won't work. I know, I just need to be reminded that my journey is my own. What I want to ask is if any of you who have revised like I did has your loss been slower. I just want some encouragement from revisees who are a little farther along.

On an up note, I'm doing very well. I've had no problems eating anything, although today I felt a little queasy every time I ate. This is the first time this has happened so I'm hoping it will pass.

Yesterday, I visited some friends, a couple, both of whom have had RNY. The wife had hers done a few years ago and did really well but she's gained a noticeable amount back. The husband is looking pretty good but the first thing he did when he came into the house was eat some cookies, then started mixing up a new batch. I kept thinking didn't you learn anything? I was really disappointed in them. And for them. I just don't want to go down that same path.

I guess this is what is haunting me about my slow loss. I am so worried I will fall back into old habits, get out that jar of Nutella and spoon out half of it in one sitting, or all my other favorite carbs. I am realizing more and more every day how much of a commitment it is. A life long commitment that is necessary to be successful and get/remain healthy.

Yup. This is the "easy way out."
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

shoutjoy
on 5/5/12 8:47 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hello,

Wouldn't it be nice if weight loss surgery took care of our thoughts, habits, triggers, and fears?  I have learned over the years that all surgeries require a life style change.  I have also learned that it is NOT always the patient's fault that we gain weight.  Sometimes the surgery is not done right.  Doctors are always quick to blame the patients.  I am finding out that this is not always true.  Sometimes surgeons make mistakes!  I am not saying this happened in your case.  I just want you to know that it is not always the patient's fault.

Get into a really good support group.  Get to know a nutritionist and a counselor who specializes in bariatrics.  Obesity goes so much deeper than the stomach.  The battles are in our mind and more support is needed.

I hope this helps a little.
Most Active