YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Raychel B.
on 1/22/04 6:41 am - Brooklyn, NY
Unfortunately folks, this forum has to exist. I have been to one of the Top Dr.'s when it comes to revisions done in NY, Dr. Gagner. While we both agree that my initial RNY procedure done at Lenox Hill is considered a "medical failure". My pouch was made too large in the first place. He feels that I only need a revision to modify my pouch. While I have resorted to taking diet pills including Xenical I also work-out 3 times a week trying to fend off unwanted pounds. I strongly feel that I need a revision from the RNY converted to the "true" DS. Not wishing to have "the ball dropped" again, I will forfeit the $300 paid for Dr. Gagner's visit and gather my medical records to send to Dr. Douglas H Hess in Ohio. I hope to get through this without a hitch. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Your candid friend, Raychel
toddmaye
on 1/22/04 10:59 pm - KINSTON, NC
Raychal, I am sorry to hear about the problems that you had. I actually had two claimant's that had the same problem but I thought it was rare. Anyway, Sorry. Hope everything works out for you
glfromast
on 1/23/04 9:00 am - patchogue, ny
Wow my mom is having the same problem. She really thinks she is alone and is the only person that is having this problem. She had an open RNY 2 years ago. She eats alot less than she did pre-op she is alot more active but she only lost about 90 pounds from the surgery. She weight 375 and is 5'4. She now weighs about 290. But right after her surgery, she was able to eat more than they said she would and she was able to swollow large pills even though they said she wouldnt. The doctors are now sending her for an Upper GI to see if she opened the staples. They said that if she didnt then there is nothing they can do for her. But if they made her pouch the right size then she would have never been able to eat that amount of food so soon after surgery. But of coarse the surgion isn't going to admit this, he is going to blame the patient. I hope everything goes well with you and wish you the best of luck. Best Wishes, Gloria
Jackie P.
on 2/3/04 4:39 am - College Station, TX
Raychel, Good luck to you. I belong to a revision group on Yahoo and most of the folks are very pleased with Dr. Gagner. From what I've heard, he's the most experienced revision surgeon in the country. I can understand wanting to have the DS procedure done. I had banding (non-adjustable) in 1997 and was just revised to RNY in October. Good Luck, Jackie in TX
star .
on 2/23/04 2:40 am - OK
This is really a reply to the one that commented on her mothers pouch size. I had a RNY November 2000. Right away, I felt I could 'eat' more than my RNY peers. My surgeon was 'surprized' but both he and 'others' on here, assumed that since I wasnt 'throwing up' I wasnt over eating. It wasnt until about 5 months post that I tried the 'cottage cheese' test on myself; ate over 1 1/2 cups.. could have been more, freaked out and stopped. I called my surgeon, he then decided to do an Upper GI. What my upper GI test showed... was NO pouch function. Bascially what was going on is that I had the 'opposite' of stricture. When the doctors make your new opening for food to fall thru from your pouch to the intestines; its suppose to shrink after surgery; some peoples shrink TO much and they get stricture; which most people have heard of.. BUT for a few of us RNY the opening doesn shrink; this basically leaves the opening to large; and food falls from the espogus into the intestines; bypass the pouch. It doesnt matter WHAT size your pouch is.. its NOT functioning. The Intestines, will let you eat more than your pouch... and will act as a tummy. I never felt full...At the time of the diagnois, I could find nothing on here, finally the Amerian Bariatric Association wrote me telling me doctors have known about this problem for years, failed to fix it, and refevert their patients to 'diet and excerise' if it 'happens'. My original surgeon would not touch the pouch; suggested he would convert me to a DS when I had my hernia fixed later that year. When it came time to fix the hernia, he refused to change me to a DS stating I 'wasnt gaining weight. When I finally had my hernia fixed, the surgeon who did the hernia repair , was also a fobi ring doctor, he tried to put the fobi ring on the opening; there was NO room, so he backed out and just fxed the hernia. After that I consulted with another surgeon, this surgeon did the lap bands. He went and put the lap band on (I had to have it done open cause of adhesions) but he was sucessful in placing the lap band on. After it was activated (i.e. filled) I actually have the food limiations I was suppose to have with the RNY. SO, if you have no pouch function due to a failed RNY.. it is possible to have the lap band put on to fix it.
glfromast
on 2/26/04 1:54 am - patchogue, ny
Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to forward it to my mother. I'm sure this info will help her alot. I will keep you posted. Hope all is well with you. Best Wishes, Gloria
whisperskiss
on 5/31/04 12:23 pm - Lindsay, Canada
I have gained 50 of the 100 I had to lose back and I now have to excercise and purge not to go any higher. I visit my doctor tommorow but I am in Canada and from what I hear its a six year wait to find a doctor to perform an RNY. Well I have gone through all the plastic surgery for extra skin. Help I feel I am becoming anerexic. All I am begginging to focus on is excercising and food. It is ruling me. Can somebody give me some answers. I didnot know they could fix the VBG here is to praying my doctor can Thank you in Advance Kimmy
Most Active