I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 3 days ago.

Tatem Kennedy
on 7/3/09 12:02 pm - la jolla, CA
Hey guys, My name is Tatem, I'm 18 years old, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 days ago.
My doctor thinks that all the stress, anxiety, and depression from everything going on right now is what brought it out, although she thinks it was dormant before that.
My mother was diagnosed with Fibro 15 years ago after having her jaw shattered by an Alzheimer's patient that kicked her in the face.  So now I'm starting to think it's genetic, even though as far as i know they haven't proved it.

I'm having a really hard time coping with the fact that I'm going to be in this EXCRUCIATING pain for the rest of my life.  The worst part is the memory loss, mental confusion, and the hard time concentrating that bothers me the most. I feel so disconnected from everyone, and everything.

After 4 years of trying to be approved for Gastric Bypass I'm finally really close, only months away if my new insurance approves me. I have California Major Risk by Anthem, and it's $400.00 a month and the only insurance that would accept me so it better work!

My doctor wants me to have the surgery before she prescribes me pain meds for the Fibro, so currently all i have to take if Advil. I swear i feel like beating her with a baseball bat and then throwing her some Advil, and see how long she can go without pain meds.

I just really need someone to talk to about this, I feel so alone.
toothfairy.mitchell
on 7/3/09 1:27 pm
VSG on 06/30/08 with
I am so sorry! I was 15 when I was dx, and I remember one of the crazy dr.s telling me "Well, we'll just have to see how it really effects you as you age, bc you are so young..and it is chronic."
OH THANKS, sir!! Scared me to death. I was cramping up trying to walk up stairs at school, and sometimes my leg would give out just walking, and he tells me that he was interested to see if/how I could carry a baby "because after all your uterus is a muscle too"!!!!!!!!! 

I am sure by now you have seen the commercials for Lyrica and it has helped me to some extent. I didn't even really know how much until I quit taking it! LOL! Plus, after the sx it is easier to get around and move a smaller body, although fibromyalgia never goes away. HOWEVER, I can tell you this...I have had this for all of my life that I can remember and you will learn how to handle it. I have aunts and co-workers that have been dx'ed and I honestly can say that I am better adapt at functioning that someone that it was sprung on later in life. So that is the only silver-lining. * sarcastic chuckle* IT all depends on how you look at it! Hang in there!

Screw the Advil...and really any of the pain meds haven't done much for  me...try Corvalen (you have to order it, it is some sort of supplement and it really does help!!) and muscle rubs (like IceHot).   
Photobucket        
Hislady
on 7/3/09 2:58 pm - Vancouver, WA
I'm always sorry to hear someone else is diagnosed, it's never a good thing but like the OP said we do adjust and most of us manage to live a reasonably normal life. I would suggest you look up the National Fibromyalgia Assoc., in fact the post before yours has a link. Read all you can about the disease the more you understand it the better you can deal with it. At least docs believe in it now, for years they told me I was crazy and there was nothing wrong with me. Talk to your doc about some pain meds, there's no reason to suffer until your surgery. Besides the lyrica there is also cymbalta and savella plus they are working on more new drugs. Many of us have to take narcotic pain meds to get thru the day besides a regular fibro med. You can still enjoy life with fibro but sometimes you have to work at it a little harder. Best of luck on your surgery and dealing with the fibro.
MainePam
on 7/4/09 10:33 am - Bucksport, ME
Hi Tatem,

Love your name. It must be hard to have the DX of fibro at a young age. But I think I had it then and never dx. I guess at least you know what your pain is from.
I am 62 now and was dx in 1995. But i think I had it as a teenager.
Know that we all "understand" each other here so come on any time to "talk".
I deffinately know stress can affect fibro.
Good Luck and gentle hugs your way,

Pam
barbara101
on 7/5/09 7:26 am - somewhere, OH
HI, Tatem. I too have fibro. I have had it since 1986.
the begining was the worse they never knew what it was I had so many tests over the years. they could not figure out what it was. till about 10 years later.
I have no life changing advice, but I do know how you feel. It still makes me cry sometimes. But I just keep going.
It is good to talk to others who have the same.

Barbara   

Kristy
on 7/6/09 1:43 am - ID
Hi Tatem,
I am sorry to hear you have this horrible condition to.  But like the rest of us, we have probably had it most of our lives.  Thinking back now, I have had symptoms that the doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with me.  I am 42 yrs old now and I just got diagnosed with fibro about 1.5 yrs ago.  I kept feeling this creepy tingly nerve feeling in my arms, and they had to keep moving (flicking) my arms back and forth and couldn't sleep.  But finally, after complaining to my primary care doctor, he finally came to a diagnois after trying a lot of meds.  So for me, the hardest part is trying to accept the fact that I have this condition and my life will change because of it.  I lost 90 lbs hoping to have a new life.  But then I got this full blown................I didn't and sometimes don't know how to deal with it.  It makes me sad thinking, ok I am using the patch and norco as a backup, I feel pretty good today, but if I do too much I will pay for it the next day.  And being fatigued all the time is what I really can't accept.  Sometimes I just have to sit back, and do a lot of soul searching to figure out how I am going to fit this condition into my life.  My sister is supportive but my husband isn't sure what he thinks about it.  So, this is the perfect place to vent, ask questions, learn from others and a quiet place to go.  Best wishes.  Kristy
martha6133
on 7/12/09 11:02 pm - Portland, TN
Hi Tetem,

I also have had Fibro for several years. I was diagnosed at age 42 and I am now 50.  I remember feeling all the things you are going through right now.  I had mono and they think that is what surfaced the Fibro.  I take no pain meds and do very well considering.  I do about anything and everything I want to do within reason with little discomfort.  I contribute that to the fact that after I was first diagnosed, a close friend recommended that I see a Reflexologist.  I will admit that the first several trips, it was very painful and tears would run down my cheeks while he was doing the reflexology through my feet.  However, I will tell you that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  He told me if I would bear with it and do what he told me to - he would get me better.  IT WORKED!!!!!  He also put me on natural vitamins, minerals, cherry juice concentrate for pain, colon cleanse, etc.  I am very thankful to him for where I am today. No - I am not without some discomfort but that is all it is - discomfort. NOT FULL BLOWN PAIN !  The worst thing I deal with right now is being tired and since I went on the CPAP machine a couple years ago that has improved with better sleep.  I would highly recommend a reflexologist to anyone who is suffering from Fibro!!!!!!!!  You have to stay with it but it is no more expensive than taking all the pain meds.  I don't know what condition I would have been in today if it had not been for the reflexology.  Good luck and best of wishes to everyone who is struggling with this.
lrgsgt-o9
on 7/13/09 7:56 am - Corpus Christi, TX
Just like everyone else here...I can remember suffering from Fibro since I was young about 12. I'm 40 now and just got a diagnosis a year ago. I had back to back strep and sinus infections which they believed brought it out. I kept telling my doctor that the pain didn't bother me it was the fatigue that is a killer! He told me that the pain was what was causing the fatigue. He said I'm unable to rest comfortable because of the pain. I don't know. I know that I use to exercise a lot weight training, aerobics and running and I felt really good. That's why I need this surgery. Since I have gotten so obese (220 @ 5'2) I have had a lot more pain. I experienced my first migraine last winter! Ouch!  I was in pain for a week before ending up in the ER. The doctor gave me a couple of shots of morphine and it finally went away.I thought I could tough it out! Ha Ha. Only advice I can give you is really be in tune with your body. Eat on time, eat good food and sleep. Good luck. The best thing was finally getting a diagnosis.
missnanajean
on 7/28/09 12:11 am - Friendswood, TX
Tatem, Things that I have found help. Sometimes we are vitamin deficent. Make sure you take a good multiple vitamin, Take 1 in Am 1 in pm or break 1 in half. Your body only absorbs so much at a time thus yellow pee. That way you get better levels that will help.Have the Dr. run a Vit. D level. I was very low and now take 50,000units/ week the muscle pain and fog are better. Also green tea helps me greatly. I get packets found it in the coffee aisle good flavors. Put it in your water bottle. It is a natural anti inflammatory. Also I take Omega Relief. from the health food store. It has fish oil, tumeric ,ginger and boran with no fish after taste. It also is anti inflammatory and I can tell if I haven't taken my meds. I'm a nurse and work long hours and my pain is in my thumbs,knees and back and muscles. I've  been dx for 2 yr.s I also take 1 Celebrex a day and tylenol arthritis .  Be careful with Advil always take with food then pill then food or milk on top of it. you can get ulcers that will be bad for bypass.Good luck Sweetie. Don't give up. Another thing take your meds. I met a gal who didn't keep up with them postop and has permanent  damage.Also postop people say capsule don't get absorbed so if possible get pills or liquid. Attend as many support groups as you can so you keep up on the right way to live after surgery. I've known good outcomes and bad. I'm also getting bypass but have been banded for 18mo.s and haven't lost any wt. even though I try really hard. I've been on too many liquid diets my body thinks its starving so it holds onto anything I eat so be consistant with good calorie choices. Everyday is a learning trial and error day.  Some days we lose ,some days we stay the same and some days we gain. Just go with the flow.Miss Jean
francesn
on 10/13/09 11:30 am
i have had fibromyalgia since i was about 10 I'm 31 now it is a hard illness that honestly most doctors disregard, they dint feel that it is a disability but it is and it hurts like hell.

as for the meds. your doctor is rite you should not take any thing honestly not even Advil or aspirin because the meds. that are for arthritis and fibro> are blood thinners and that is why we can not take them before surgery there is great risk of bleeding out so my advice of 21 years of experience is that you should go to walmart and get Tylenol arthritis 650 mg. and take one every 6 hours it may not give you complete relief but it will subside some of the pain for a while.
Most Active
Recent Topics