Fastest 5K

Cassie W.
on 4/5/08 3:49 am

It was just a year ago that I tackled my first 5K, determined that I would find my inner athlete and banish the threat of obesity from my life forever.  That race, I was proud just to cross the finish line.   A pace of 12:09 meant nothing to me.  I was just happy to know that I could keep moving for almost 38 minutes without stopping. Flash forward a year and I still can't believe how far I've come.  Today, I ran my fastest 5K ever and took second in my age group with a pace of 9:18.  My goal pace was 9:39!  I just wanted to be able to come in under 30 minutes.  At 28:53, I still had over a minute to spare. It was an amazing day not only because of my pace, but because I could share it with my friends and family.  My husband and co-worker joined me on this journey the same time last year.  Today, my husband took second in his age group and my co-worker took second in her age group.  We are celebrating tonight!   And  . . . today my 12-year-old son ran his first 5K.  He was sad that he didn't get a medal, but proud that he was able to run a mile before he had to walk.  I reminded him that I started out just like him last year. It was just a fantastic day for us all! 

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Scott William
on 4/5/08 4:28 am
Good job Cassie on  a great pace and your 2nd place.  Way to go.  I have been trying to find someone to tag along but the best I can do is a great cheering section.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 4/5/08 4:54 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Great job Cassie and congrats on the 2nd place finish!
Chris Zane
on 4/5/08 9:45 am
Cassie, you are an inspiration for me.  Last week, I ran/walked my first 5k and finished in 37 minutes.  I just started this running journey a few months ago and really had no idea what time to expect or strive for.  I see all those race results with people finishing under 30 minutes and you've really made me see that if I keep working at it, I too can increase my speed and maybe even place some day. Congratulations to you - you must feel fantastic.
Linn D.
on 4/5/08 11:47 am - Missoula, MT
Congratulations, Cassie!!! It really is a wonderful feeling, isn't it! Just keep running..... Linn
puddin2day
on 4/5/08 1:09 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Cassie, Congrats on coming in 2nd and the time.  I hope to be able to clock time like yours in the near future. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

MaryS
on 4/6/08 9:09 am - Long Island, NY
Cassie, Congrats on your second place finish!  Wow, you did a great job.  Isn't it amazing the difference the year makes?! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

frueta
on 4/7/08 11:26 am
Congratulations!!  That is awesome that you and your family could participate in something like this together.  It is great for your son to have such active parents. 
Most Active