Body Building....Advice needed on diet and supplements...

adam_
on 4/22/10 8:29 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Thanks Nate, for pointing me to this board, not sure how I missed it....

Anyway as I asked in the Men's forum....

Do we have any resident Body Builder(s) that can help with this?

I'm looking for some advice on RNY-friendly supplements to assist in building muscle / recovery. I've been taking my regular bariatric vitamins and 2 to 3 servings of GNC Whey Protein daily for the past 2 years.....my diet is great...focused on high protein (lean meats) and lots of vegetables with minimal, almost zero, simple starches/sugars...I'm pretty sure this is why I've been able to maintain pretty decent muscle mass without being able to lift weights (doc's orders, multiple hernia repairs)...

Anyway,  I just got clearance from the doc to start lifting weights again and have been pointed in numerous directions by body building freinds, GNC staff, etc....Orange Triad.... Creatine.....SuperPump....No Xplode....so confused....haha...

Not even sure if any of this is safe with my rerouted plumbing?

I posted this on a body building forum and got some good responses...I was told first, I've gotta eat even  more....I've been maintaining my goal weight and about 15% body fat for 18 months now doing 5-6 meals a day ending up around 2500 calories....80 gm fat....200 gm protein....200 gm carbs....60 gm sugars (natural only).....so I'm planning to bump that up about 20%...and the protein, about 50% (via 2 additional shakes and a bit more lean meats)....

So I hit up GNC today and switched from 100% Whey to a more absorbable form (Amplified Wheybolic 60) and also picked up some SuperPump 250....and Glutamine for recovery....the SuperPump has some Creatine in it...if I dont have any adverse reactions I'm going to buy additional Creatine and ease into that....

Good/Bad idea?

Here's my before and current...."after" will be when i add at least 20 lbs of muscle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

superconducting
on 4/22/10 10:15 am - Montgomery, NY
 the wheybolic from GNC is good stuff, has a great profile and does the job of a few supplements.  I lived on it (the chocolate) for a few months, making strength gains while still losing pounds.  I switched a month or so ago to Nitro Peak, which is very similar but less money, from Vitamin Shoppe. Really like the vanilla.  

mcarthur01
on 4/22/10 10:44 am - Cumming, GA
i haven't gone the route of supplementation so i don't have any specific advice.  i would suggest you seek an expert in the sports medicine field that has some experience with body building/sculpting and bariatrics (i'm assuming this is a pretty small list of people in the world).

i've had some success naturally (i.e., just proper nutrition and exercise program), i've probably gained about 5 or 10 lbs of muscle weight in the last year or so.  it isn't the biggest or fastest way to bulk, but it works if you are patient enough.

best of luck, we'd love to see you on this board, it is full of great people and there is plenty of inspriation and motivation going around.  i seem to remember somebody on the men's board that had some serious body building experience pre-surgery, can't seem to remember his name.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

adam_
on 5/12/10 2:18 pm - Boynton Beach, FL
UPDATE:

Weight +5 lbs.
Shoulders gained 2.0".
Bicep gained 0.5".
Forearm gained 1.0".
Neck gained 0.25".
Chest, 0.0" (boo!)
Waist lost -1.0".
Hips lost -2.0"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Pam Hart
on 5/12/10 2:27 pm - Easton, PA
First of all....I unfortunately don't have any advice for you and am new to this forum myself.  However...wanted to say A) love the pics and B) your from my neck of the woods.  Grew up in Monmouth County (Red Bank area) and have family in Toms River :)

And this board is GREAT...I've only been on here once before tonight and have gotten GREAT responses.  Seems like a very close knit group
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active