Body looks better than ever but the scale isn't budging...grrr

Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/26/10 12:28 am, edited 10/26/10 12:30 am - GA
Sorry, this is long...

I'm 7 1/2 months out, 5' 8" and 170 lbs. I have VSG and don't malabsorb.

So some of you know that my *thing* is weight training. I was warned by my super-buff sleeve sister that once I started really committing myself to lifting heavy, I probably wouldn't see the changes on the scale as much as on my body. So far, this is proving to be true. Still, it is frustrating because my doctor wants me to get to 160 and I feel like I may never get there, even though my body looks pretty good for having lost 104 lbs, I'm still guessing I have about 5 lbs of skin on my tummy/midsection - or more. I know I need a tummy tuck, breast lift/reduction, and could probably use a LBL but that's not in the cards for me.

I am noticing big changes in my arms, legs, boobs (believe it or not), and waist. I look good in fitted workout pants and fitted racerback tanks (something I NEVER though I'd wear to the gym in this lifetime!), so I'm thrilled about that. But that dang scale taunts me!!

Do you think with my lifting I may never get to 160? My personal goal was 150 but I'm really thinking that's unrealistic for my body type... I dunno. My goal is to get my body fat lower and my muscles much larger, but I'm getting impatient and considering adding calories and carbs so I can add more muscle (because my ultimate goal is bodybuilding). I'm just not sure what to do from here - maintain my average 700-800 calories a day until I make goal, or increase calories risking never hitting goal - yes I know my calories are low but I still can eat very little. Because I have been really tired/drained since I started lifting, I have been trying to increase my calories by using milk in my shakes, adding peanut butter to my shakes, etc. but I'm trying to do it gradually so that I don't gain fat, but I'm still only hitting around 800 calories on a high day.

I should add that I do HIIT on the treadmill 3-4 times per week, and have no intentions of doing much more cardio than this. I despise cardio so it's never going to happen. I lift 3-4 days a week.

I'm just really confused about where to keep my calories. I did a calculation on a bodybuilding forum and according to that I should be eating 1,700 calories a day and still lose weight, but that seems super high...? Do I just keep doing what I'm doing until I lose more fat, or do I increase my calories and hopefully see improvement that way?

Some pics for reference...you can see I'm starting to get muscles/definition, but I clearly could stand to lose another 10lbs of fat easily, if not more.
Picture9114.jpg

actually getting a tiny bit of quad definition
Picture9126.jpg picture by laney_lue

Picture9062.jpg

10-25-10_1435.jpg

10-25-10_1430.jpg picture by laney_lue

10-21-10_2316-1.jpg

5'8" - 40 years old

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/26/10 12:39 am - Fort Worth, TX
Girl.... there is NO WAY you will put on muscle at 800 cals a day. If getting to a goal WEIGHT is your dream, do it and then add muscle, but you need to realize muscle weighs 3 times MORE than fat, so if your goal is instead to put on mass, throw your weight goal out the window, As for how many calories you need... You need to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (The number of calories your body needs to function properly) AKA BMR. My guess for you is somewhere around 1300-1400 calories, then take into consideration your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) This is the amount of calories your body burns at rest (For most fit people they burn about 70%+ of their BMR at rest. Next, factor in calories burned while excercising. Let's say about 500 or so... About 1500 calories burned in a day (RMR + Excercise) with 800 calories taken in per day, you are at a caloric deficit of 700 per day and would poise to loose 1.2 pounds per week (appx 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat). SO, if losing weight is the goal, this will work, if adding muscle is the goal, you dont have a chance. LOL. START EATING FOOD DUDE!!! And keep on rockin! You look awesome!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/26/10 12:51 am, edited 10/26/10 12:53 am - GA
Thanks, Dan!

I know, I'm really trying to eat more. The other day I put forth some serious effort to eat, and I felt like I was eating all day long and I still only ate 750 calories!! I was like wtheck, man!!

A big part of the problem is that I can only eat about 2 oz of dense protein at a time. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese at a sitting is my max. I've had to go back to 2 protein shakes a day just to get in more than 65g of protein a day. I'm not whining, since this is why I had the surgery afterall...but I admit it's tough now that I want to add muscle. I know I'll need to do much better than I'm doing now with my diet.

I've been shopping around for a good bodybuilding routine and I really love this one (you have a push day, pull day, lift day, and leg day, love love love this routine). The trainer is on my bodybuilding forum and he works with people directly to help them set up a routine based on their goals. I'm just not sure if I should wait until I lose more fat or if I should start now (assuming I'll be able to eat more).

http://www.2020-wellness.com/gst/

eta: Oh wait, can I eat cheesecake three times a day? That might be a solution. I KEED!

5'8" - 40 years old

MacMadame
on 10/26/10 10:43 am - Northern, CA
You need to stop eating things like cottage cheese and eat more things like nuts.

You can eat 800 calories a day or eat 1600 with the same volume by changing what you eat. Don't automatically reach for the "diet" versions of things or non-fat this and reduced fat that, for example.

I still eat carrots and cottage cheese because I like them but these are things that fill you up without providing a lot of calories. I also eat nuts every day, sometimes more than one serving and I've added fruit back in my diet as well.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

nate2009
on 10/26/10 1:27 am - Lebanon, OH
Figure out what is more important and go for it. I got well below my goal weight and felt like crap. I stopped most of my long runs,started lifting hard and heavy and have gained 25 pounds while staying in the same size clothes. My bmi says I'm obese again at 5'7" and 205 but I'm in 28" waist jeans and a L shirt. This is the best I have ever felt in my life. I decided to forget weight and be what I wanted to be. Go for what's more important to you. I am getting in 3500 cals a day and somewhere between 250 and 350 g of protein while still keeping my carbs pretty low. I know that's hindered my muscle gains but I still fear getting fat.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/26/10 1:58 am - GA
Awesome gain!!

I try to get my carbs up a bit for energy mostly, but I don't find carbs especially appealing anymore. I did eat some Tricuits yesterday (too salty). Actually, nothing is very appealing anymore which I attribute to ghrelin reduction. I don't feel hunger and there isnt a food that I can think of lately that makes me go "mmm I could chow down on that!" Both good things, but bad when one *needs* to eat, ya know? I'm worried that if I increase my calories too much, I will just gain fat. Ugh.
 5'8" - 40 years old

nate2009
on 10/26/10 3:38 am - Lebanon, OH
Have you tried any protein bars? They are higher calories and usually have 20-25 carbs in the lower sugar versions. Adkins bars will have like 250 cals in a very small bar. If the sleeve is anything like rny you are just about at the opoint where eating becomes easier.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/26/10 4:22 am - GA
Yep! I ate 1/2 one today before I got on the treadmill, matter of fact! I think I'll eat the other half now. Thanks for the reminder. I like the Builder's Clif bars. I can eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of one of those depending on how tight my sleeve feels that day. The one I'm having today has 270 cal, 30 g carbs, and 20g protein. Not too shabby!

I can eat a whole Atkins bar, but my husband hogged them all. LOL

(it's 2:22 pm and I've had only 400 calories so far today, aye aye aye)

What's funny is my husband said to me, "Well dear, you might have to drink some of that weight gainer stuff." That's just crazy talk! No way is something called "weight gainer" going past these lips. lol

One day I'm sure I'll be wishing I had this super restriction again!
 5'8" - 40 years old

RJC5197
on 4/13/17 4:20 am - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

Thx for this info.

I am seeing this late because I am just now searching the site for the same issue.

I had RNY 11 months ago and lost 110 lbs. Frustrated because I want to lose another 10 lbs. fat while gaining muscle mass.

I eat 2200 cals a day with 200 grams of protein a day, (This being a 20% calorie deficit based on my workouts) and the scale has not dropped in many weeks, and muscle gains are really slow.

Did you have a good balance to get body fat percentage down to where you want?

bandhope
on 10/26/10 2:05 am - TX

It sounds like you need to eat a more balance diet. Just adding a little milk and peanut butter to a very low calorie diet, doesn't seem like a long term healthy plan. You are probably exhausted because your body isn't being fueled properly. I would focus on a healthy balance diet. I think you'll get better results and not to mention...you'll feel much better. I can't imagine you have a very balance diet eating the calories you do. We have to remember...we need to learn to eat properly for a lifetime of healthy living. Eating poorly might give us a short pay off, but the long term results will not be good.

I think if you studied the diet of a bodybuilder you would be surprised by the amount of calories they take in. A healthy and natural body builder's results come from eating a healthy balance diet and hard work. It requires both.

As far as your body goes, if you're happy with what you see in the mirror, why doesn't it matter what the scale reads unless you are underweight? My PS believe it or not...gave me a stern talk about body imagine, size, and the scale. We sometimes, get a little nuts about it and need a reality check. If your pleased with your results in the mirror, forget about the scale. Unless of course, you dipped too low, being underweight is just as dangerous as being overweight.
 Best wishes!

Most Active