This is me and I'm learning to love exercise...need a little help

2tired2befat
on 4/19/11 5:00 am, edited 4/19/11 5:02 am - Spring Hill, TN

Hi Y'all!

My name is April.  This is me: 

I have a great OH friend (you know who you are) that suggested I post here because y'all offer such amazing support.

I am about 2.5 months into my work out regime.  I spend about 5 hours per week in the gym which I'm very proud of as I work full time plus as a branch manager for a staffing company, I own a very busy weekend photography business, I am a Mom to two beautiful children yet I still make my way to the gym.  That was HUGE for me.  I was cautious to post here because I am by no means on the path to becoming an athlete.  I find that right now my zumba and hip hop classes (each an hour long) are effective and I work them hard.  I leave the gym soaked.  I walk in with straight hair and leave with curly hair so I know I'm doing something right!

I would like to start adding some light weight training as I had my RMR tested and it isn't a good number.  So any advice on how to go about that and improve that number is greatly appreciated.  I'm no where near goal yet and really desire to reach my goal.
Thank you all!
Have a great day.
April

Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 4/19/11 5:41 am - East Haven, VT
how did you get you RMR tested?

and April you are freakin gorgeous, just sayin!
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
2tired2befat
on 4/19/11 6:01 am - Spring Hill, TN
Thank you.  :) (blushing)

My surgeon actually tests it every time I go.  Ask your surgeon, I bet you they have a way to accomplish this.  Mine was 1697!!! Horrible.  No wonder I can't create a calorie deficit enough to lose more than two pounds per week.  I'm hoping next time I go in that it will be better! :)

nate2009
on 4/19/11 5:46 am - Lebanon, OH
It's great that you know the workouts are a priority and it looks like your doing great. The one thing I would say is forget the term "light weight training" that will be a waste of your time. Go hard and heavy. As a woman you can not bulk up like a man, but every ounce of muscle you add will make feel and look better. The more muscle you add the higher you bmr will be.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
2tired2befat
on 4/19/11 6:03 am - Spring Hill, TN
I feel like the folks that exercise are the ones that stand the best chance of long term maintenance.  I don't ever want to be obese again. 
I can't afford a trainer.  Are the machines in the gym adequate enough or are free weights the only option?  Are there any on-line resources you would recommend?

Thanks,
April

nate2009
on 4/19/11 6:47 am - Lebanon, OH
Bodybuilding.com will give you short videos of each move so you can see proper form. I use machines but am a firm believer in free weights and compound moves to build muscle. Squats,leg press,rows,bench press,deadlifts etc. If you use free weights start with weights that are way to light and just focus on form for a week or so.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
crystal M.
on 4/19/11 7:01 am - Joliet, IL
I actually bought Weight Lifting for Dummies and several other books and just read (I know I am a dork).  I also brought the book with me so I can read how to do things as I am doing it.  No one even looked twice at me.  I go to a gym at work and they don't have trainers and they don't allow anyone outside of work in the gym...even trainers.  So I can't use a trainer either.  

crystal M.
on 4/19/11 7:26 am - Joliet, IL

I want to hear more about this RMR test.  How is it done?  Is it covered by insurance?  If not how much does it cost? 

I think the ones on line are way off.  They are trying to tell me I can eat 2600 calories a day and not gain weight...I highly doubt that

Selyndria
on 4/19/11 10:03 am - Long Beach, CA
 Light training won't help you. You'll need to go heavy to build up muscle mass. You've lost a lot of muscle if your BMR is 1697. You don't have to do a lot of weight training if you incorporate a exercises wherein you use your own body weight: Pull-ups, push-ups, Burpees, Mountain climbers, screamers, squats, lunges and compound/hybrid upper body weight exercises combined with squats and lunges. Old school stuff, but it works. 

Combine that with some anaerobic drills and you'll burn fat while increasing your metabolism.

My BMR is 2,946. That means on days when I don't work out (or when I caught a cold last week) as long as I don't eat over 2,946 calories in a day, I will lose or maintain. I took off 4 days for this cold since my workout is so intense. I lost 2 pounds. I started back this weekend. I lost two more pounds. Also, I eat a lot. I eat every 2-3 hours and it averages between 4 - 12 ounces per meal. Depends on what I've done, how hungry I am and if my pouch wants it. I don't ever feel full unless I have over-eaten, then I feel full and then I feel pain. I've learned to listen to my body's satiated signal. First I take a long deep breath in and actually sigh. Usually I stop there, but sometimes I don't notice it. Second one is I get the hiccups. After that, I'm "full" and go right into 1 - 2 hours of pain. Trust me... at hiccups, I'm done.

Don't worry so much about stretching your pouch or if you can eat one lean cuisine (I have been able to eat one whole one since 7 months, but I won't touch that crap). Measure your portions, learn what your portions generally should be. Understand that you'll be higher or lower per meal depending on your pouch. That's ok. Train your eyes to know the perfect amount. Don't drink while eating, proteins first and foremost. THAT plus exercise will give you long term success. 

mcarthur01
on 4/19/11 10:56 am - Cumming, GA
nothing additional to add except strength training is absolutely important and often overlooked in our WLS community.  welcome and good luck!  hope to see you posting in our daily workout threads.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active