Real Exercise after Surgery

angella220
on 5/29/11 4:28 am - TX
At what point can I resume a real exercise regimen. I know I can walk. But I am ready to exercise and sweat and lose those pounds. Everywhere I am reading it says 6 weeks. That seems like forever away.  Anyone know?
pamkb
on 5/29/11 7:27 am - Crestview, FL
My surgeon approved me for cardio (zumba, elipitical, etc) at 5 weeks, as tolerated, and encouraged to start with just 20 min and build up.   I had a 20 pound lift restriction for 6 weeks and no ab work for 6 weeks and then it was as tolerated.  Your surgeon will be best one to answer this question based on your recovery and how your are handling nutrition.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

mcarthur01
on 5/29/11 9:02 am - Cumming, GA
docs orders... typically it's around 6 weeks, that's what it was for me.  until that time, i walked at least 30 minutes everyday, at first it was slow as anything, it was all about building confidence and good habits for when you are cleared for other exercises.  best of luck!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/31/11 12:53 am - Fort Worth, TX
FYI...

ex·er·cise

[ek-ser-sahyz] Show IPA noun, verb, -cised, -cis·ing. –noun 1. bodily or mental exertion, especially for the sake of training or improvement of health: Walking is good exercise. 2. something done or performed as a means of practice or training: exercises for the piano. 3. a putting into action, use, operation, or effect: the exercise of caution.

Take it slow. You have a lifetime to gain and maintain your fitness. Be patient and let your body heal... 6 weeks sounds about right
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

CdnGal
on 5/31/11 4:35 am - Canada
I am anxious too because now that I have lost some weight I want to start off and get to it.  But... I will wait b/c I do not want a hernia!!!
MacMadame
on 5/31/11 9:17 am - Northern, CA
I was cleared to do "whatever I wanted" at 3 weeks. It really just depends on teh surgeon. But also, no matter what they tell you, if you do something and it doesn't feel right, you should go slower than they say!

For example, I didn't feel right doing core workouts until about 2 months out from surgery.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 1:50 pm - TX
I had restrictions of eight weeks for ab work and intense cardio exercise. I've been doing it now for three/four weeks and managed to reinjure myself this past weekend getting thrown at a judo class, so take it easy.....
Most Active