How long after WLS did you wait to excercise??

xoxoxo1990
on 6/4/11 4:09 am
Hello im 2 weeks out and dying to hit the gym! i feel like im wasting away becoming lazier everyday!!
So i was just wondering how long after WLS did you wait to excercise??
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

crystal M.
on 6/4/11 4:25 am - Joliet, IL
I waited almost a year and half after I had surgery.  It's the one thing I wish I could change about my post surgery behavior.  Surprisingly (not), I had trouble losing weight.  I had only lost about 50 lbs in about 16 months (which isn't much when you have 200 lbs to lose).  Once I started to exercise my weight dropped quickly.  I lost an additional 100 lbs in 10 months.  So with exercise added to my daily routine I lost twice as much weight in less time.  I know some people can lose weight without exercise but that's not how my body is.  My body likes my fat and want to keep it!!!!  

Not to mention losing weight by it's self is good for you, but a person can still be unhealthy and thin.  Exercise is good for your heart, lungs, brain, skin, and mental well being.  Not to mention those of us that have put a lot of work into exercise we have built up our muscles and stamina.  We will be able to eat more and not regain the weight back.  One person on here pointed out once...notice how people who exercise don't come on here and complain about gaining all their weight back.  You are less likely to fail if you exercise.   

If I were you I would start right now!!!  Just start with a walk around the block. 
fatfreemama
on 6/4/11 5:05 am - San Jose, CA
My doc said only walking for the first 8 weeks. After that, I started back on my elliptical and more walking. Then eventually added in weights.
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

mcarthur01
on 6/4/11 11:19 am - Cumming, GA
docs orders.  i walked everyday for at least 30 minutes, the doc cleared me for all other exercise after 6 weeks.  good luck!  post here oflten, we would love to see you on the daily workout threads.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

MacMadame
on 6/4/11 11:41 am - Northern, CA
I walked only for the first two weeks and then I went to the gym and resumed the workouts I'd been doing before surgery -- which was 30 min. on the stationary bike 1-2x a week. After that, I gradually increased my working out as I felt better. I started running at 1 month out and started core workouts at 2 months. I'd tried doing core workouts at 1 month out but the guts were still too fragile.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

xoxoxo1990
on 6/5/11 2:05 pm

Thanks guys! And yea i def. have been walking at least an hour a day! Pushing my 20 pound son lon so hopefully that helps. i have lost 15 pound in two weeks so we know somethings working!

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

Most Active