TriWaco Olympic Triathlon - Race Report

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/24/11 10:29 am - Fort Worth, TX
So, this week after a full week of training and teaching 6 Spin Classes, as I was hanging out with the Family Friday afternoon when we got home from the waterpark, and before my Softball game, I remembered there was a little race an hour and a half south of us in Waco, TX. I talked to my wife, got the green light, registered, made hotel reservations, and cruised down there Saturday late afternoon. I was expecting the regular "Run-of-the mill"  packet pickup, but they had like 15 vendor booths and it was a full blown EXPO!!! I asked my friend Shawna, who was the assistant race director, how many people were registered, she said close to 1,000. WHOA!!!

After picking up my packet, we grabbed some grub (Chicken parmesian sandwich :) ), and settled in to the room for the night. Suprisingly, with all three kids in tow (2, 4, and 7 years old), I got an incredible night's sleep and at 4am the rituals started Sunday morning. We head down to the race and get everything set up in transition, attend the race briefing, and was VERY suprised to see how many people turned out for this Olympic and Sprint distance races. I would say half did the Sprint and half did the Oly, but either way a GREAT turnout and they had mist blowing fans surrounding the bounce houses to keep the kids cool and entertained.

When the race started, it was 88* and humidity was at 80%. This was at 7am!!! By the time I hit the bike and then the run, it was in the 100+ range and humidity hovering around 70%... BRUTALITY!!! The swim was just OK. I got caught behind this group, that for the entire 1500M did not break ranks. It was like when I tried to break through, they all started elbowing me and giving me a face full of foot, so I tried to swim to the side, same thing, I seriously could not shake em. So, if you can't get past em, just suck their draft and put out about 60% effort and finish a few minutes behind... That's what I did and was out of the water and up the 1/3 mile jaunt into transition in 31:07 for 1500M. Again, just so-so.

I was on the very last rack in transition since I registered so late, and I got the priveledge of running about 200 yards to get out of T1. I mount my bike, which was loaded with 4 bottles of Gatorade, and get ready to put the smack down on this 25.45 mile course. It was very hot, about 10mph winds, and relatively flat with a few rollers, no biggie. I stick to my plan and in Chris Lieto fashion (about 6mph slower of course) Hammer the bike and pass the many folks that I could not catch on the swim because of "The Great Wall". I believe I finished with the bike in the top 10 and was stoked to average well over 22mph for the ride. Then the long run back through transition and on to the run.

I have been suffering with allergies, VERY severe, for the past few weeks and have been having a hard time running. So, in the morning, I took a rip off the advair inhaler my Doc gave me, he also prescribed Albuterol for me when I am outside. So, I set it next to my shoes so I could take a couple hits before I hit the run, but guess what??? Yup, I forgot!!! I hydrated EXTREMELY well on the bike (100 oz in an hour) and felt fresh going into the run. The first two miles of the run were pretty much flat, however, after that, all bets are off and it was hill after hill after hill!!! Couple that with the heat and my chest feeling like it was going to explode barely carrying an 8 minute pace! The run was a suffer-fest, and I was lucky to hold a 9:30 pace, which, was awful, but considering the conditions, and my personal condition, I will take it. Anyways, that's it...

Total time was 2:43:45 for a 1500M Swim, 25.45 mile ride, and 10K run. My first time at the Olympic distance and even though conditions were brutal, I had a blast! Thanks for reading this and thank you as always for all of your support!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Rob S.
on 7/24/11 11:22 am - DE
Great job. Not always about the final time. It's the effort.

Rob  

jwc10s
on 7/24/11 11:35 am
 Awesome!!!. I aspire to those levels of fitness.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Jillian O.
on 7/24/11 9:32 pm - Fort Riley, KS
Nice race! Awesome bike, that's quite and average! Only 32 more days until Ironman Louisville!

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Paul C.
on 7/24/11 11:05 pm - Cumming, GA
Awesome job Dan and like always you inspire many of us to push farther and do more.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
mcarthur01
on 7/25/11 4:24 am - Cumming, GA
man i hate brutal runs in the heat and humidity, great race in tough conditions, and you gotta love a podium finish!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active