CCSU Alumni Race Report - 2 Mile.

Scott William
on 9/24/11 10:01 pm
First of all, since I had never done a 2 mile race before, I PR'ed.  Sweet!!! 

I told my son at the last minute that he was running.  I knew that he could finish but would have *****ed up a storm the whole way there.  He is a big 9 year old who is in pretty good football shape.  Also, I am in the worst shape I have been in in about 5.5 years.  I was hoping to run with him so my personal expectations could be low. 

This race takes place before the Central Connecticut State University Cross Country Team races.  There were an okay amount of spectators and maybe 50 runners in the alumni race.  What was cool was the cross country start with about two rows of runners spread out over about 100' instead of being lined up 20 deep on a narrow road.

The gun fires and my son takes off.  I reign him in a bit because he has never run more than a mile.  Even so, we go through the half mile in at about 9 minute pace.  I expected to have a leisurely run but he was pushing it a bit.  He set the pace the whole time.  Finally at about 3/4 mile he needed to stop and walk.  We ended up going through the first mile in under 12 minutes.  Last week for the presidents physical fitness test he ran a 12:35.  I made sure all the spectators (including some of my old teachers) knew about his accomplishment.  After splashing him in some puddles and some more walk/run we finished in 26:05.  As is usually the case, I nipped him at the line!

The race was two loops and what he didn't know was that is he was putting up a fight (as he has in the past) I was going to let him off the hook and leave him with my wife for the second lap.  He was a trooper and it never came up.  I was one proud papa.  He had a football game 2 hours later but he's 9 so I'm sure he was recovered.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
KatCooper
on 9/25/11 5:33 am - Collierville, TN
 Sounds like a great experience for both of you!  Its great that you are including your son.   My son is a few pounds overweight and I am encouraging him to exercise with me as well.  He will be with me during my first 5K in 2 weeks.  
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Scott William
on 9/25/11 9:30 am
Nice.  You are going to have a great time!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 9/26/11 1:49 am
That's great Scott,

I alway enjoy it when I can get my son to run or ride with me.

He is the same way.  He tries really hard, but gets pooped out and he hates running.
I usually have to surprise him with it, or bribe him.

I started having him ride his bike with me while I run.  There is much less complaining that way.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Jillian O.
on 9/27/11 8:57 am - Fort Riley, KS
Awesome on getting your son involved! Huge victory!

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Most Active