what do I eat before a race?

ednjen30
on 12/30/11 12:05 pm - CA
 I had VSG on Aug 23, 2011.  I began running in Sept and have been signing up for 5k races.  I know people who have not had WLS usually carb load before a race, but I can't do that, can only eat 1.5 oz of food at a time.  Does anyone know what I should be eating before a race or a running workout?
Thank you

If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.
       - Anonymous    
MacMadame
on 12/30/11 3:12 pm - Northern, CA
Not necessarily anything. Any exercise that takes less than 60 minutes can be accomplished just by drinking water.

You don't really need to start fueling until you get over that mark.

Generally you just don't want to exercise on fumes. So if it's been more than 2 hours since you ate, you might want a little snack, say 100 calories, 200 at the most. And it can be carbs. Just eat the carbs you normally do eat at that time and eat less at other times. Like have some carrots or a banana or some cheese or a glass of milk.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ednjen30
on 12/31/11 5:12 am - CA
 Thank you! I usually feel better if I do not eat before a run, but everyone keeps telling me I need to eat for "fuel" so I wont get tired. They dont understand that I feel better if I dont eat. Just wanted to make sure this was ok.  happy new year!

- Anonymous    
MacMadame
on 12/31/11 6:56 pm - Northern, CA
Are these "everyone" athletes or well-meaning friends who've watched too many Gatorade commericals? 

ednjen30
on 1/1/12 2:29 am - CA
Hahaha!!! They are well meaning couch potatoes who have seen too many gatorade comercials! :)

You are such an inspiration to me! I checked out your blog yesterday, I loved reading about your accomplishments. I so badly want to run a half marathon.  I just started running in the end of Sept.  Currently I run 3 miles every other day.  I am so slow, takes me 40 minutes.  Hasnt helped that I am fighting a sinus infection for a month, even with antibiotics.   Anyway, I will keep reading your blog for inspiration, one of these days I will get where I want to be. 

Happy New Year!

- Anonymous    
MacMadame
on 1/1/12 6:42 am - Northern, CA
Every other day is great!

I haven't ever gotten past 3 days a week but this year I want to run every day. I'm going to start every day for 10 min. and then see if I can get to 20 min. then make one of my runs go up to an hour and 1 go up to 2 hours and see what happens.

ednjen30
on 1/1/12 10:38 am - CA
 Sounds like a great plan, good luck.  Keep me posted. 

- Anonymous    
Most Active