Burning out in just 15-20 minutes. Need nut advice.

Geminisappho
on 3/27/12 9:55 pm - Atascadero, CA
How are you RNY athletes doing it?
I burn out and start to get hypoglycemic about 20 minutes into a ride. I mostly ride trails and will always need to GU seemingly right after I am on. My pre-ride consists of a 30gm protein shake followed by 20-25gm carbs, usually in the form of a granola bar or Corazon Oatmeal bar.

Should I be doing more of a 50/50 protein/carb ratio on the ride instead of GU? Something easy as when in a group ride it's hard to say "let me stop on this vertical rock garden to get some calories in." It's such a pain sometimes.

What are easily digestible on the go items you eat?

Another concern is I need the calories and I need to drink. Do I just eat and drink at the same time? I know generally this is a no, no but how are you staying hydrated and sustaining energy all at once?
A new set of food issues now. I'll take this one but I just wish I could figure this out so I can ride more/harder and not tank every 20 minutes.
Thanks!
***ADRIENNE**

mcarthur01
on 3/27/12 11:22 pm - Cumming, GA
i would step back and look at the big picture nutrition wise.  you may not have enough in the tank before you start your workouts.  it is a lot of trial and error, but eventually you will settle on a pre-workout, during workout (as needed), and post workout nutrition plan that works for you.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/28/12 2:27 am
So here's my typical breakdown of a 40 miler:

Pre-Ride: 2 Eggs, 1 Chicken Sausage, 2 sm corn tortillas
        Also: 2 cups of coffee w/ coconut milk
10 miles- 1/2 Lara Bar and handful of almonds
20 miles- 4oz chicken and salad or 20gm protein bar (Jay Robb) and fruit (usually a cutie)
30 miles- Packet of Almond butter and other half of Lara Bar
Post-Ride- 2 Carne Asada tacos! (Beef, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, n cheese in a corn tortilla)

Plus I keep Gu Chomps in my jersey pockets and when I'm feeling shaky in between snacks- I'll have a couple. And I drink a 20oz bottle with a salt tab (nuun, camelback etc.) every 15-20miles.

Hope you figure out what works for you, probably just need to up your calories for all that intensity!

Good luck,

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Most Active