Struggling with eating after seeing my "cals burned" on my monitor...

Kim H.
on 4/2/12 8:11 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I'm a little annoyed with my Polar HR monitor since I know it's not accurate and is overestimating all my workouts. Supposedly they are around 75% accurate but can be off by up to 33% so, I have little confidence. Unfortunately, whenever I see my cals burned I think, "I can eat all those extra calories I burned!" I tell myself not to and typically don't but this is something I used to do and old habits die hard. Has anyone else struggled with this? I have a carb snack pre-workout to keep my energy up and the nausea/dizziness away. Also, I do an extra protein shake with milk if I'm super hungry but also have noticed that I'm eating more as my workouts increase. I'm still losing (slowly at  almost 9 months out) but don't want to eat too little since I tend to stop losing when I do. But, I also don't want to get into the old thinking that I can eat whatever I burned or if I eat I can work it off later- very eating disordered thinking, I know. Any thoughts, experience, or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
MacMadame
on 4/2/12 2:09 pm - Northern, CA
Something to keep in mind:

The calories burned is showing total calories burned but the ones available to eat are NET. That's because your normal daily eating is taking into consideration the calories you would have burned if you were doing something like watching tv instead of going to the gym. So the only extra calories are the calories over that.

For me, it works out to 60-100 calories a minute that I would normally burn. So, if my HRM says I burned 500 and  I ate a 200 calorie snack beforehand and a 100 calorie recovery snack after then I only have 100 extra calories.

i.e., 500 total burned
     - 200 for pre-workout snack
      -100 for post-workout snack
      -100 for what I would have done instead (probably surf the web)
-----------
100 extra left for eating

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

on 4/3/12 8:28 am - OR
 I look at it the opposite way, instead of looking at what I could eat, I try to aim for a calorie defecit everyday of 1500, its hard for me to do so I don't really feel like eating any of those calories I just burned ;)
Good luck!

Most Active