Running Novice - Need Suggestions

hlacy
on 4/14/12 8:21 am - Chandler, AZ
Hello all,

I am nearly eight months RNY post-op. I am 38 lbs. from my goal weight of 155, though I'd like to get down past that eventually. My SIL just had a baby and has been inspired by my WLS journey, so we decided to train together for the PFCB Rock & Roll Half Marathon in January 2013.

I have never run before. I am still walkng most of the time, alternating between regular and speedwalking. I am looking for some tips from experienced RNYers of how, what and were you started out. I have eight months to train, and I know I can do this. I want to tackle it right from the beginning so I can make it!

Any plans, websites and info/advices is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Heather
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Bettisima
on 4/14/12 10:52 am
Couch 2 5k is a great start to running a 5k and you can build from there. It combines walking and running until you are running the full 30 minutes/5K. Same people have a couch to 10K. And yes.. A half training program too.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml
superconducting
on 4/15/12 5:15 am - Montgomery, NY
 you have lots of time, so use it and enjoy it!  Whether you use couch to 5k or something similar (I basically did my own thing, just starting with jogging, walking and elliptical, main thing is keep goals, keep improving, and don't be afraid to rest!  

MichelleNC
on 4/15/12 11:19 am
 You can do couch to half marathon I did it. I walked ran and I trained with women running a full marathon running 4min walking 1min after we ran 2 miles in. You can do it I want to do a rock and roll marathon too!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

hlacy
on 4/16/12 12:04 am - Chandler, AZ
 Thank you everyone!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

LinR
on 4/17/12 7:10 am
I did the couch potato to 5 K last year.  Am up to 6 miles now and am planning to add .5 miles per week for the next 4 weeks then 1 mile per week after to get to 1/2 marathon distance--we'll see how that goes.

When I first started running, I wasn't sure I could.  I recommend the couch potato to 5K program for anyone starting to run.   I'll pass on these wise words from my son-- it's not your body, it's your mind that keeps you from going farther.-- he was right.

Scaura
on 4/18/12 6:54 am - Fort Collins, CO
How muc weight had you all lost before starting couch to 5K?

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Most Active