1/2 Ironman Training Programs

KatCooper
on 11/28/12 1:21 am - Collierville, TN

So just over 9 months away until Augusta and I am looking at training plans. Most of the ones I have seen are 20 weeks. I have 32 but thought I would go ahead and start working on it middle of December once my 1/2 is over. This way and can repeat a week if needed or scale it back incase of injury.   I have gotten some great advice so far about cycling and will be getting a bike trainer for Christmas.  I am getting in touch with the local Tri groups coach, but to be honest I think he is going to think I am nuts, which is quite possibly true, but only my mom gets to point it out.  :-)  I have found a coach for each discipline, but no one so far to put it all together.  I did all of my 1/2 training with a book but would like a bit more feedback for a race this big.  Any suggestions?   (I have been spinning, swimming and running on my own, so I am not starting from complete scratch. )

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Jillian O.
on 11/28/12 1:51 am - Fort Riley, KS

When I was getting into tri the biggest aid for me was creating an account on www.beginnertriathlete.com. They offer training plans, some you have to pay for, coaching services, and forums where anyone would be happy to answer any questions you may have. My user name on there is Jillian_o

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

KatCooper
on 11/28/12 2:05 am - Collierville, TN

Thanks, Jillian.  I joined today and it was their programs I was looking into.  My name on there is katidid988.  Thanks for the feedback!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

Seht
on 11/29/12 12:21 am

I was going to suggest beginner triathlete as well.

As far as your bike goes, make sure you are getting in real rides on the road, not just the trainer or spin class.  It's a different animal.

I'm not sure how close you are to the Tri you are doing, but if all possible it makes it nice to be able to have ridden the course.

It takes the surprises out of it, you learn where the hills are, where any potential head winds etc might come into play.  I'm lucky in that I live right on the course I usually participate in.  So I can make any portion of the swim/bike/run part of my training plan.  I will ride the course at least 2-3 times during my training.  Since it's two looks of the same course, I don't need to ride the full 112 miles to know what the course is like.

Try your best to keep yourself honest to your workouts.  20 weeks is a long time to stay focused on the training if life happens.  There are always potential interruptions or changes to your schedule.  But before you know it, those 20 weeks will be over with and it will be race time.

Best of luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

KatCooper
on 11/29/12 2:05 am - Collierville, TN

Thanks for the reply!  I have gotten hooked up with the local biking club and will start riding with them.  I will most likely not be able to ride the course since it is 9 hours from me, but you never know.  I have 9 months before my event and I plan on hitting up Paul and Jillian for info on the course as we get closer to time.   And of course, I stalk you via your blog. LOL  :-)

Kat

Seht
on 11/29/12 2:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXZFoc8S6Q

Video number 1 of 9 that covers the bike course at Augusta.

You can watch these while you are on the trainer just to get an idea of the course.

Good luck with the training and the event.  Enjoy yourself.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active