I need something I just don't now what...

Sewcrazycaren
on 12/5/12 10:42 am - MI

Hello, 

I am new to this forum.  I stumbled across OH by reading up on the gastric sleeve.  I have decided that although I would like to have the gastric sleeve done and have no problem paying cash price I am afraid to have it done when I don't have health insurance.  I plan to pick it up in the spring and have the surgery then.  In the mean time I would lie to learn some healthy habits.

I need to get moving but how or where do I start.  I really do not want anything that I have to pay a monthly fee.

I have a wii and thought about some fitness games.  I like music and dancing.  Every year I get hit with that seasonal disorder!  The last 3 weeks I have been exhausted and can't hardly make myself move! so I bought myself a tanning package to see if that helps.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Caren

Kim S.
on 12/5/12 11:21 pm - Helena, AL

Welcome to OH!  There are several informative boards that can help educate you on weight loss surgery. 

My recommendation, if you haven't already done so, is to research all 4 main weight loss surgeries:  VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy), RNY (gastrc bypass), Lap Band (I would recommend this to NO ONE), and DS (duodenal switch).

Lap band and VSG are restrictive only, and RNY and DS are restrictive and mal absorptive. 

Review the pros and cons of each, the lifetime changes/follow up required for each and then determine which will best fit your needs for life.

Regardless of which surgery you choose, an important part of lifestyle change required for long term weight management is regular exercise, so I'm glad to see you are addressing this now.  I began working out 6 months before my surgery....and I was a couch potato.....everyone can find something physical to do....you just need to try things and find what you like.

The Wii is a good beginner's option.  There are plenty of exercise and dancing things you can do with it.  Walking is also an excellent form of exercise.  Just start out doing what you can do and keep pushing yourself to new goals.  Before you know it, you'll be able to run up the stairs without getting winded!

Please let us know if we can help in any way-best wishes on your journey!

LinR
on 12/6/12 12:36 am

If you like to dance, you might see if wii has a zumba program.  I enjoy tanning too.  It always makes me feel more motivated when I have a glow.

Most Active