liquid diet/excess skin

msroxy2
on 2/10/13 11:49 pm

Good morning !! 

I am scheduled to have my on February 25th. I am extremely nervous... I start my liquid fast today and would like more variety of the things that I can consume. If anyone has any other suggestions other than broth, popsicles, and sugar free gelatin, please help me.

The second thing I am worried/nervous about is the excess skin after my surgery. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can prevent this? What kinds of exercises should I do?

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/13 2:09 am

Hi Roxy,

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, the couple weeks before surgery were the hardest part for me, I was so nervous! Your liquid diet sounds pretty much like mine - all I can say is prepare your family for you to be cranky. Follow your surgeon's directions for what you can and can't have, I wasn't 100% compliant but still did fine in surgery.

As far as exercising and excess skin... Unfortunately, there is not a darn thing you can do to prevent that. Exercise will help you lose weight, maintain that weight loss and overall make you healthier. If you build muscle mass, the muscles under the skin will appear more toned which might help the overall appearance. The amount of excess skin a person will have is based on lots of things, age, genetics, how long they were overweight, how heavy they were, smoking history, prior pregnancies, etcetera.

Good luck!

msroxy2
on 2/11/13 5:38 pm
Thanks for replying. I plan to workout a lot. This is beginning to become overwhelming....I keep reading about the mood swings and crankiness. But since I know I'm going to try to keep it under control. (smiling)
madamekitty
on 2/11/13 11:03 am - MD

Same day for me too. I placed myself on a liquid diet so I can lose these last few lbs before surgery. There really isn't too much more that what you have listed.

Kim S.
on 2/14/13 12:39 am - Helena, AL

I never had to do a liquid diet before surgery, but was on one for a few days after surgery.  One thing I loved was egg drop soup and hot and sour soup....I just didn't eat the solid stuff in it.

Best wishes, and don't worry about being cranky...it isn't a guarantee-you might be so excited about your surgery that you'll be in a happy place!

kparker522
on 2/14/13 4:07 am

Hi, I'm six mo. post op.  The first two mo. I was not hungry at all, I had to force myself to eat. I was not cranky when I was on the liquid.  But now my weight is at a stand still for the last month.  I don't know what else I can do to jumpstart it.  Good luck with the surgery, I wouldn't change a thing.

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/13 11:41 am - MN

Hi I'm two months post op and down 35lbs, but still have not been able to exercise due to a bad knee, next week I am gonna get a cortisone injection it my knee and really hope I can start exercising!! I can't believe I'm excited to exercise!! If your having trouble you should log your food intake or see your dietician again.  Hope things start moving again soon for you!!!

B

kparker522
on 2/16/13 11:54 pm

Good for you!  How do you feel over all?  My 6mo.  check up went really well, my doctor said I'm were I should be at this point so i'm pleased .  I started lifting weights and zumba twice a week I feel really good.

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/13 11:46 am - MN

Hi, surgery is going to be great!! I had mine 12/17/12 and I have to say the actual surgery was the easy part of it all, for me the emotional part was the hardest, I turned to food whenever I was stressed, I no longer could do that, and at first that is really hard.  As for the excessive skin, don't worry about that now, the more you exercise the tighter your skin will become.  Good luck with surgery... and remember it's gonna be wonderful after!!!

Most Active