What do I do when Exersize Routines are boring?

Kool.Katy
on 5/1/13 10:06 am - AK

So…

Went to the Doctor for my 3 month follow up and he was all smiles when he told me I can start working out for an HOUR a DAY now.

HOUR

A

DAY

WTH do people do for an hour? I can barely make it through 30 minutes without losing it because I’m so bored. It’s not so much the activity it’s the TIME. I’ve researched dance classes (Samba & Swing), roller skating (cheap night is $6 for a 2 hour session), dance classes @ the local college and swimming/aquarobics at the Y.

I think I should start a baseball/soccer team/rugby league for fat girls who are terrified of balls flying at their heads…that way I won’t feel alone when I scream and dodge manically from the ball.

Someone at work said, in response to me explaining that I wasn’t a ‘sporty’ person, that “Oh you’ll get used to being active and start to love it!”. I tried to explain to her that it wasn’t the physical activity I was worried about…it’s the fact that I’ve NEVER been excited about sports before…what makes anyone think I’ll all of a sudden (because of weight loss) find it the bomb now?

Anyone else have any Activity Ideas for a girl with a phobia of balls flying @ her head?

KatCooper
on 5/2/13 9:08 am - Collierville, TN

I do happen to love exercising now.  I never like it before because I couldnt do it. I listen to my music or spend some time with myself. It's my "me" time.  Why does the time component bother you? People lose weight with out the exercising, but if you want to improve your health, you do it.  Walk 30 min out and then you have to walk the other 30 to get back.  It doesnt have to be anything major.  Start with 15 mins.  I personally cant stand work out classes.  But that's just me. 

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

cheyenne000
on 5/4/13 1:44 am, edited 5/4/13 1:44 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I would start out slow

Start with walking, time will fly by. Try to find someone to walk with you or try bike ridding, hopefully you live where you can get out. I love to walk and climb. I am not one to work out in a gym for an hour or two but I have found other  ways to  get my exercise  work outs in.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

hummingbird56
on 5/6/13 8:10 am

Walking is my exercise of choice. As someone else wrote, I walk 30 minutes away from my house and 30 minutes to get back home. We also broke down and bought a treadmill as we live in a 4 seasons climate and walking 365 days a year outside isn't practical. I also do a weight circuit 3 days a week at an Anytime Fitness gym. 

To keep from getting too bored, I download audio books from our local library onto an inexpensive MP3 player and I listen to books while I walk. There are days when 1 hour isn't enough because I don't want to stop my book!

P.S. I didn't start out walking an hour. I was 300 pounds when I started, so just walking to the end of our block and back was an accomplishment. I VERY SLOWLY added distance, which translated to minutes. I do not pay attention to how far I walk. I focus on time.

Good Luck on your journey!

datachick
on 5/15/13 11:38 pm - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I also fight the boredom-while-running thing. At the training studio on the treadmill, I watch Netflix on my phone with a bluetooth headset while I jog. Outside I listen to the music on my phone. It helps a little bit.

For circuit training, I have a personal trainer so there is no time nor head space to get bored.

If you want to be in the gym, print out a schedule of things to do--different exercises for diff reps/weight etc. and stretches and put it on a clipboard (look on line or ask a trainer at the gym to help out). Then just follow the list and check off what you are doing. Maybe that will help you not focus on the TIME and just focus on your plan.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/13 9:26 am - GA

Hello and great question. Sounds like you have some great ideas. Remember just because you have been cleared to do an hour doesn't mean you have to do an hour. Actually with the proper exercise program 30 - 45 minutes will burn more calories than a hour of long boring exercise. Choose an exercise program which keeps you very active that way you don't have time to worry about being bored. Try crossfit, or another high intensity program. When choosing a high intensity program remember you do the best you can and don't try to keep up with the instructor and over time you will improve.

Doing a exercise program which is very repetitive (elliptical, treadmill, swimming) is also very boring over a long period of time/minutes. Crossfit or high intensity programs keeps you moving and confuses your body causing your metabolism to soar.

Mrsk1020
on 5/28/13 10:57 am - bel air, MD

I take ZUMBA, that is an hour class and it goes by SUPER FAST!!!!!!  I will also do the elliptical for an hour, followed by 45 minutes of strength training (i used to not be able to do an hour on there.  Hell, 5 minutes kicked my ass!)  .  Why not just start out walking slow....do 15 minutes this week and next week do 25-30 minutes and gradually increase to an hour.  There are also other ways you can exercise, like racketball, tennis, badmitton, riding a bike, bowling, and or kayaking.  If you love nature, why not go hiking. Find a local nature trail and get the stepping.  Enjoy this is the best part!  

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along......" ~Maroon 5

Most Active