New to weight lifting, with questions...

daisymay228
on 5/28/13 6:33 am - LA

I'm almost 4 years out from VSG and slowly putting weight on.  However, I haven't been able to join a gym until recently (kids are finally old enough and I now have a sitter).  I've been a member for about a month now.  I started out with LOTS of cardio and actually felt better in my clothes.  Then two weeks ago, I met with a trainer for an upper body routine.  Then last week, we met for the lower body routine.  I have increased my carbs (as hard as that is since I've been told for so long that carbs are evil!), I've gotten the caloric increase (1200-1400 a day) and of course, my protein in take.  However, I'm gaining weight!!!!  I have read everything about how the scale goes up with weights, BUT, my clothes are tight too!  Like, I'm getting big and that isn't cool!!!!  Should I go back to the cardio until I lose more weight, then add weights?

Also, for those who follow a heavy protein/carb diet for weight lifting, how in the world do you get all your lean protein/veggies in AND your water???  I still cannot drink and eat at the same time, if it were to save my life (like I will vomit it's so bad).  So if I focus on my 5-7 meals a day, I don't have enough time in b/t meals to drink water b/c I have to wait atleast 30 min before I can drink fluids after a meal.  If I focus on water intake, I get NO food in.

And if I eat the right things, I feel so full and bloated that I quit eating all together which in turns messes up the metabolism and no weight is lost and I feel like a failure!!!  So I guess I'm looking for a good balance?  My trainer told me calories to eat per day but did not tell me what to eat, even though I do know what to eat.  But to eat a cup of chicken is a huge challenge for me, especially if it includes veggies with it.  (which makes me so mad b/c I can eat a whole bag of chips).

Anyway, any advice or tips for someone doing heavy cardio (spin class, running miles, etc.) every day and weights every day.  I just feel like I need to eat, eat, eat but I can't!  Yet, I can't lose weight either!

Andrea
SW 228 - lowest weight - 132 - CW 160

Gastric Sleeve - July 2009
BL/BA/TT  - August 2010
TT#2/Full circumfrential lift - July 2014

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/13 7:54 am - GA

Wow, first congratulations on joining the gym. Hopefully you have discussed these concerns with your trainer and he/she can address these issues. Although you have read how the scale goes up the trainer needs to know of your recent weight gain and may be he/she can adjust the workout accordingly. You mentioned  you met with the trainer for an upper body routine and also last week for a lower body routine. Were these the only two times or did you meet with them several times over the two weeks. If you have only met with the trainer twice in two weeks I doubt its the weight lifting. That's not enough times to make a difference therefore it's probably your eating (unless you are doing additional weight training on your own). Also, if you go back to strickly cardio you may continue to lose weight however you are not devoloping any muscle tone so although you will see the numbers on the scale decrease your skin will become flabby/flabbier and you may not be happy with your overall appearance without the muscle tone. So it's best to do the cardio and strength training simultaneously.  Also, I know you are concerned but remember it's only been two weeks with the trainer.

daisymay228
on 5/28/13 7:59 am - LA

Well, I didn't tell the trainer anything about my eating rules.  Mainly b/c I've chosen not to tell anyone about my VSG and at this gym (in a very small town), the word would get out FAST.  So I'm not sure what to do :/  Yes, I've only met with the trainer twice but I have been doing weight training classes that I failed to mention earlier.  It's full on weights with the bar and core strength floor exercises.  So I lift weights every day but my cardio went down b/c I only have so much time available at the gym.  But the day that I do spin class, I do not lift weights.  So it's one or the other.  So for two weeks I've been lifting weights but when i started that, my cardio went down.  And I'm seeing the increase in my clothes :(  Like my stomach is so bloated and I've recently gone up 2 pant sizes (before the gym) and was hoping to lose those rather quickly.  Now those pants are even tighter!!

I want to be THIN with muscle.  Is there such a thing???  right now, my muscles are tight and my skin is firming up however, I still look FAT!!!

Andrea

BL/BA/TT  - August 2010

Mrsk1020
on 5/28/13 11:02 am - bel air, MD

Do more cardio.  You should only spend 25-40 minutes on strength training.  Alternate your days even days, upper body and cardio, odd days, lower body and cardio.  It takes time, be patient and keep on with the basics for eating.  Try lean proteins like egg whites.  I have been loving sauted spinach in olive oil s&p, then cooked egg whites and a tsp of mozzarella or cheddar cheese melted on top.  I switched to SILK soy milk, becuase I cannot drink mils s/p VSG.  It makes me nauseated and causes me to dump.  Keep up the good work.  DOn't get discouraged.  Keep going to the gym.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along......" ~Maroon 5

KatCooper
on 5/28/13 10:52 pm - Collierville, TN

Measure, measure, measure......you will find that when you add the weights you weight may stay the same, but your inches WILL change.  If you dont already have one, look at getting a base model Polar watch that will let you know how many calories you actually burned.  I wear mine when I am lifting as well as cardio.  You may find that calorically you are eating more than you need.  Keep your carbs clean- fruits and such.  Many people gain weight when they start working out hard because they dramatically over estimate what  they burn.  Keep on, and play with the calories, you will find what works for you. 

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

daisymay228
on 5/28/13 11:48 pm - LA

Wow thanks so much!!!  My cardio isn't as much since I started the weights b/c my trainer suggested that i do the body pump weight lift class which is an hour long.  Well, once I'm there for an hour, I can't stay much longer since I've got a sitter at home with my kids.  So some days I'll weight lift and no cardio.  Should I forget about the classes for now and only do my own free weights?

My husband and I measured when we started.  I've gained inches, I've gained weight on the scale and none of my clothes fit :(  VERY discouraging.  I thought I'd see a decrease somewhere.  And I thought that if I joined a gym, I'd lose the 20lb I've gained since VSG.  I was in a size 4, gained 20lb and was in a tight 8.  Now I'm busting out of size 10's and even the thigh area is tight.  Like this isn't cool lol!

This morning, my breakfast consisted of .5 cup of cooked steel cut oats with a few almonds, cinnamon and a tsp of organic agave nectar, then 1 egg scrambled with turkey sausage.  That was stuffing it too.  That was eaten at 6am and it's almost 9 now and It's still sitting heavy in my stomach :(  for lunch, I have chicken cooked with s&P only, roasted sweet potatoes with cinnamon and little agave nectar.  This is the things I eat.  so I don't understand.

I think I need to focus more on my cardio to lose the fat.  Then tone.  I've been so thin after VSG, I cannot mentally understand the weight gain.

Andrea

BL/BA/TT  - August 2010

Day_dream_believer
on 5/30/13 10:22 am

How many calories were you eating a day when you were maintaining? From my experience if I eat over 1200 calories a day and a lot of carbs then I gain weight.  I have come to accept the fact that my metabolism is messed up from years of yo yo dieting and a thyroid problem.  Most trainers do not understand the needs of people who have have WLS.  Many of them do not have that much training in nutrition.  I would suggest talking with a dietitian who has experience with WLS. 

Personally I run for an hour 3 times a week and do cross training 3 days a week.  This is usually rowing, spinning etc.  I do pilates 2 times a week and 45 minutes to an hour of weights 3-5 times a week.   Can you divide your exercise time up so you do weights in the morning and cardio in the evening or when someone is able to watch the kids.  You could also do some form of cross training that gets your heart rate up while lifting weights.  Your trainer should be able to help you come up with a plan that meets your individual needs.  

rohanpinto31
on 6/3/13 10:11 pm

To reduce weight one requires a lot of patience .The effect of the gym does not show on your body in one month time.regular gym and cardio will help reduce over a period of time.i suggest you take steam twice a week to burn extra calories and your eating habits are good, eat 5 to 7 small meals and drink ho****er after your meal which does not let oily substance to accumulate inside the body .    

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/13 5:13 am

Congrats to join the Gym. You should concentrate on your meal. Eat healthy for a healthy exercise. Eat balanced diet and stay away from junk and fast food if you are trying to lose weight. Go for yoga it is a simple and easy exercise. Use green tea, it helps you to burn your belly fat. Go for morning walk, it is a easy and natural way for loosing weight. Wish you all the best. 

Most Active