How much exercise is enough?

GoDawgs1979
on 5/18/15 7:53 am

I'm scheduled for RNY at the end of August, so I still have some time until I have surgery.  Until then, I'm wanting to get in the right mindset and start establishing habits that will make me have success.

I HATE exercise.  Hate it.  The only thing I truly enjoy is water aerobics, but as a single mom who works full time, it's too hard to fit that into my schedule.  Really, I need to do something at home or outdoors that my 5 year old can do with me.

I'm looking into purchasing a treadmill, and I don't mind using a treadmill since I can watch tv as I work out.  A realistic workout goal for me is 30 minutes on the treadmill 5 days a week (I'd like to do couch to 5k, and then just do brisk walking outside of that), and another 30 minutes 3 - 5 days a week of resistance training.

I feel like so many people turn into exercise junkies after WLS, and that is incredibly unlikely to be the case with me.  Has anyone had success at weight loss and maintenance with only moderate exercise like I describe above?

SATXVSG
on 5/18/15 10:29 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

You might surprise yourself.  I HATED running before surgery.  I don't love running now, but I don't hate it.  I really like walking but after a few months, I could not get my heart rate up to my target without running.  So now, I walk/run in intervals. 

I have been following the advice on this website for a two months.  4x4 Interval Training

Good luck with your journey.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/18/15 12:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well I'm definitely not an exercise junkie!, although I wouldn't mind trying new things since my body can get used to the same routine all the time.

Right now I really like walking & cycling. I try to get in at least my 10 thousand steps in most days & I've started incorporating going up & down stairs. I even rotate between walking to work & bike riding to work. I save so much on gas right now! LOL  The only other thing I need to do more is lift weights. I have those Bow Flex dumbbell weights but I really don't use them, they're more of a backup. I rather use the weights at the gym. I try to go there 1-2x a week.

So my routine is really riding either in the street or at the gym, walking at various speeds & distances & some weights. I usually have 1 or 2 days of no exercise & today might be one of them!, just finished up a midnigh****ch & I feel like a nap right now & its all cloudy & cold outside right now.

I do wish I could get a treadmill, but they look really big & bulky & loud! I'm on the top floor of my apt complex. I don't want to bother my neighbors. I do have a couple of exercise bikes. 1 recumbent for bad back days & 1 upright for all the others. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 5/18/15 3:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I also hated exercise pre-op!  But now?  I'm not an addict, but some of my friends might think that I am. 

Regardless, when it comes to weight loss diet is 90% of the battle.  Exercise is awesome for health and fitness, but you'll lose just fine if you stick to your diet plan.  

But.. be open to the possibility that you might enjoy exercise more than you think you will.  And it'd be great to get your child involved too!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GoDawgs1979
on 5/19/15 9:15 am

I bought a treadmill yesterday on Craigslist!  I plan to start with just brisk walking while I watch tv in the evenings, and then go from there.  I'm on vacation tomorrow through Memorial Day, so I'll get started in a week.

Paul C.
on 5/20/15 6:12 am - Cumming, GA

Many people go into this Hating exercise, we later learned we hated it for 1 simple reason IT HURT!  Lets face it when you get to the point that we get to have WLS even the act of walking can hurt.  As you lose weight it starts to hurt a bit less.  I am not going to say that all exercise will be painless, well not for me anyways.

After losing weight though things for some tend to become more enjoyable.  The key to successful exercise is finding something you love and doing it.  Zumba, Body Sculpt, Boot Camp, Run, Swim or walk.  they key is to just do something and try new things.  4 Years ago when I had surgery I never believed I would complete a 5K much less run one.  This past Sunday I completed my 3rd Half Ironman solo and have completed 1 as part of a relay along with numerous other races.  

Don't limit yourself on what you believe to be true now but be open to new life experiences.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active