Build self up spurt before a surgery,

healthy-rickfan1971
on 5/31/15 8:25 pm

Sorry long post.

After a lot of time barely getting through the day from aches and pains from size matters. Only a couple of active things did I enjoy, Swimming in a pool and Tae Kwon Do. I had a VERY brave instructor that took me on in class when I was losing hearing to the point of deaf and over 370 pounds. He could see I LOVED the class, and was trying to get any exercise in that I could do that I would stick with. In a few years I had done fairly well (Upper level Purple Belt) but was constantly dealing with problems and injuries from size (not always from class, many from trying to work full time in a pizza joint on feet all day lifting HEAVY hot pans to wash) After still fluctuating weight, but usually just gaining all the way to 409 at my WLS seminar, I ended up deciding to take the plunge with RNY. Fast forward till lost 75 pounds and starting to really feel energy, I get back to class, on and off, on and off. I reached nearly where I am now and decided to add the real working out part outside the classroom warm up. So I got busy with the Jumping jacks I could finally do some AS jumping instead of modify to the arm moves but walk in place instead of jump. At a point I added Pushups at home. BAD idea as I ended up with the 3 time of horrible pinched nerve that literally had me crying day through night for weeks. Chiropractor got it adjusted well enough to bring pain level down ALOT. But it never fully recovered. And this injury happened the end of January LAST year. I got along, surviving but never able to function well because do anything that involved moving around, even walking jolted too much. My PCP got me to MRI and see other doctors and some PT done (That hurt worse between times even though I could DO the PT) Finally get in to see the neurosurgeon Weds. and he got me on the right pain plan while waiting to have the operation. I am now able to do housework that has stacked up SO bad in over a year of neglect. I also know that surgery is going to have me unable to get about yet again (short time though then heal) so I am getting some of that nice walking in that I have been needing so badly to do. Before Weds. had to force a half mile out and would hurt SO bad for a few days I could not do anything. Now I am walking and adding some more each day to build up some of what has been lost, as well as to prepare for the up coming down time. Today I got 5 miles walked, 4 of them in the same walk. I am SO happy to be able to do this simple exercise again. Although I am afraid I will not be able to ever return to my loved TKD. I just wouldn't trust trying those higher belt moves with a fused spine. But That doesn't mean I cannot resume the less impact exercise from class (NO PUSHUPS) Sorry for the long post, but Thought the background needed for better understanding of why happening, and why so happy with reaching only a 5 mile WALK instead of jog or something harder.

Dejah H.
on 6/1/15 9:28 am - Central, TX

Congrats on the 5 miles of walking and good luck on your upcoming surgery! :)

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

healthy-rickfan1971
on 6/1/15 12:18 pm

Thank you so much.

Patty T.
on 6/4/15 1:50 am - Boalsburg, PA

That's farther that I can walk! Don't knock it. Good luck on your coming surgery.

healthy-rickfan1971
on 6/4/15 6:29 pm

Thank you.

Most Active