Patellofemoral knee pain

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 9:13 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Last November, I bought a bike that was totally not the right design for me. I returned it the next day for the bike I have now, but my right knee has been hurting, cracking, and occasionally giving out ever since that first ill-fated ride, even with the 100+ lbs I've lost since then. I've seen an orthopedist a handful of times and have had months of PT without much improvement. They called it patellofemoral knee pain, or weak muscles around the patella, keeping it from staying in the right place. A brace helps somewhat but gets hot and sweaty. The pain is tolerable, but really uncomfortable and annoying. It feels crazy to do 30-mile bike rides but then have to hobble down stairs. Has anyone else had this diagnosis, and did you find any way to deal with it? I'm trying to get more active, but I feel like my body is fighting against my efforts.

SATXVSG
on 8/31/15 8:21 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Sorry you are having problems.   

Have you invested in some good bike shoes?  Regular running shoes flex too much and cause stress.  Bike shoes are stiffer and allow your effort to go into the work of pedaling.  My feet felt much better and I was able to ride much longer once I started wearing bike shoes.

I was having hip issues and Runnersworld.com had some good videos that helped me out.  They have advice/videos for your issue as well.  They call it runner's knee and it is very common.  A quick google of PFPS and biking showed this is an issue for cyclists as well.

You may just have to cut back on your workouts until you build up those muscles.

Good luck and keep at it.  Just remember, we neglected our bodies for years.  It is going to take some time to build them back up.  Slow and steady!

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/15 8:48 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, I should look into bike shoes. I wear my regular Brooks walking shoes now, but they're really stabilizing and have almost zero flex (I had to get them after a foot injury a few years ago and just kept getting the same style).

Devley
on 9/1/15 11:03 am

Also, look into taping your knee. KT or KB tapes are pretty good.  Helps add a little extra support without the bulk of a wrap.

khaff
on 11/18/15 2:59 pm

I've been diagnosed with that as well.  In PT we worked on strengthening my hips and glutes to stabilize the area.  I'm not doing very well on keeping up with the exercises that I should be doing. But, at the time of PT, I could feel the difference when I was doing the work.

Devley
on 12/3/15 11:55 am

I know its been a while but any updates on your knee? I also wanted to suggest a wrap I used with an injury.  Kept the blood flowing through the area without causing additional strain.  Will really help before activity to warm up the area to help prevent over straining.  Along with the tape I suggested before, don't shy away from a good cold compression wrap to help with inflammation.  Look into this wrap treatment, it might help you continue on with reduced pain.

http://kingbrand.com/Knee-Ice-Packs-and-wraps.php?REF=34PV3. 143 

http://kingbrand.com/BFST-Home.php?REF=34PV16.143

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 12:27 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for checking in. I did get a new brace when I out-shrank my old one, and it worked pretty well. I've been working with a personal trainer since September too and notice the knee pain has improved a lot as my overall strength has. My ortho doc referred me to another, and I'm scheduled for some non-insurance-covered platelet-rich plasma injections starting next month, although I'm undecided about if I want to go through with that yet because I'd have to have 12 weeks of very limited activity, and it's finally starting to feel better on its own anyway (almost exactly a year after the original injury). Leg extensions, squats, and lunges still cause pain, but it disappears pretty quickly now instead of lasting for days afterwards. 

Devley
on 12/3/15 12:29 pm

Great to hear.  I think squats are a pain for everyone! No one likes squats. Ha.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 1:40 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I'd still take them over plank pushups or flutter kicks any day!

Most Active