Healthy low fat, low carb soups and stews

Willie H.
on 9/5/15 9:42 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Hey all! With Autumn and Winter around the corner I'm looking for some healthy low fat, low carb, high protein soups and stews. I want my 8 year old son to eat more vegetables and alsoto eat more healthy. I want to make some in a Crock Pot and perhaps freeze a few i, preparation for the upcoming week. Anyone have any ideas, recipes?  Thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/15 3:42 pm

I make pot roast with lean low cost eye round, garlic and onions ( brown all on all sides after cutting off visible fat and rubbing with steak rub , brown onions and garlic, rinse pot and add pot liquor to crock pot ) . Add water ( or leftover beer ) to cover meat   Let cook i hr or so on high longer on low if you have to go to work- add carrots and parsnips if you like , mushrooms  if  you have them i hr later ...or just cook tyhe meat and serve wth peas or microwaved baby carrots the first meal .  When roast is fork-tender take out to serving plate and slice .  

Second meal ( pepper steak or cheese steak) from same beef - slice leftover beef  thinly saute with peppers onions or mushrooms  and fat free american cheese - serve on hoagie bread .

If you still have leftovers make crockpot beef stew- use the potroast juice , washed and cut up potatoes ( add carrots parsnips celery mushrooms gradually later ) cook i hr - add leftover beef  cubed last with mushrooms . Allow to heat through . 

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/15 3:47 pm

Yummy easy roast squash / squash soup 

Buy a whole big squash - cut into  wedges place wedges on baking sheet . Place seeds on same sheet after spraying with Pam. 

roast at 350 .. seeds will be done first - very healthy and yummy snacks

you can put Torani syrup and butter buds on the squash wedges during baking but its absolutely not necessary 

serve when done 

he next day , food process all leftover squash.  Buy one packet Squash soup from the Spanish aisle ( at walmart or grocery store ) ... cook soup add squash towards end of cooking .

I ike to make it a fat free " cream " soup by adding powdered skim milk and butter buds ... yum ! You can also add carrots during cooking ... 

Willie H.
on 9/6/15 5:11 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Yuuummmmm! All sounds so good! We have 3 kids (two boys-21 & 8 years old, 1 girl-18 yrs old)  so I doubt if there will be ANY left overs. But we are all on a eat healthy kick so it's nice to get some low carb, low fat high protein recipes! Thanks!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

NinaCanDOit
on 9/6/15 7:18 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

Last fall I went through a bunch of Paleo cookbooks from my local library and I found a lot of useful hearty recipes.  I found the Paleo stuff helpful because they are protein forward, low carb, usually ok on fats, and easy to modify/substitute.  You can check through the books at the library or browse amazon (there were a few paleo slow cooker ones that I remember), or maybe just google some recipes online.
Good luck!

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/11/15 2:45 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Also suggest the book:

Fix-it and Forget it Lightly, by Phyllis Pellman Good  (all crock pot recipes)

It was a NYT best seller.  Has chicken, beef and pork recipes, but also lots of bean recipes. Most are Low fat, low carb.  The nutritional info for all recipes is listed, so no guess work.  (you can get it on ebay

Good luck!  It's great that you are staring with your son.

Sharon

Most Active