Getting Back On Track!

Waterwench
on 2/8/16 7:26 am - portland, OR

Hi, Everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on OH, but since I was injured last year and sidelined from running, I need some motivation to get back on track. Hope that's okay!

My story is that I topped out at 292 lbs., BMI 52, had a RNY in 2007 and did really well. Started running in 2009 and have done 8 marathons.

Last year I was reduced to walking, and covered over 2400 miles in 2015, but despite that I let my food demons take over and am now about 20-25 pounds over race weight. I don't feel attractive or fit right now, and I know that going back to basics is the way to make progress.

I'm back to using my food and exercise journal and my goals are to slowly get back into running and to strengthen my core, feet and knees. We're very hilly around here and the knees tend to suffer!

I LOVE RUNNING! It's the best exercise for me, and I started a few weeks ago with my doctor's okay. I have a jacked-up right foot that may need surgery next year, but my doc says if I can withstand it, running should be fine.

So far I am using a pain-relieving ointment and I am still doing the foot-strengthening exercises my PT has me on. Anyway, that's me and what my plan is. :)

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

billmacc7
on 2/8/16 4:17 pm - MA

Nice to see your post I'm sure starting to journal will help good luck I'm getting back to your passion of running 

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

cabin111
on 2/8/16 7:48 pm, edited 2/8/16 11:48 am

Portland is the bicycle capital of the world...Just saying.  But some of those hills look mighty tough to climb on a bike...I would end up doing the walk of shame (walk my bike up the hill).  Have you thought on swimming or even a mini tri?...Once the foot gets healed...

Two other old standards concerning weight loss.  Sip sip sip the water.  The other thing that I will do is stuff my pouch with raw vegetables...The same thing we use to do for our diets pre op.  Just some ideas...Good luck on your journey.  Brian

Waterwench
on 2/9/16 7:20 pm - portland, OR

Thanks, you guys! Water DEFINITELY tastes better when I'm hydrating during a run, that's for sure. I hate salads during the winter, so I am doing my best to find simple, new recipes for hot veggie dishes. Thanks for the encouragement!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

cabin111
on 2/9/16 8:30 pm, edited 2/9/16 12:31 pm

Just concerning the cooked vegetables.  I still get a Wendy's Chili...Add my own cheese (and cheat...use one of their crackers).  When the small container is 1/2 empty, I then fill it with cooked mixed vegetables.  So I have my protein (meat/beans) and cooked vegetables.  I'm not a big cook...But that's a simple, quick, couple of meals... 

Most Active