Is walking enough to lose the weight?

Jen031114
on 3/3/16 10:59 am

Two year out from my VSG surgery... I have not only NOT lost all of the weight I needed to, but I've now gained back 20 lbs as well.  I still have about 80 lbs to lose.  I will admit, I lost what I have with diet only after surgery, no exercise.  Now I know I have to get moving and get back on track with my Dr. recommendations for what I'm eating.  I've never really exercised in my life, and don't want to go to a gym.  I feel like I just need to get out and start walking.  Maybe 30 minutes a day?  I just don't know if this is going to be enough to help me lose the rest of the weight?  

*Age 41  *VSG 3/11/14  *Height 5'4"  *HW 367,  SW  345,   CW  238,  GW  167

cabin111
on 3/3/16 4:13 pm

Diet and exercise...The same before surgery and after surgery.  It doesn't change.  If you can get up to 30 minutes a day then try and do it.  If it's only 15-20 minutes, that is fine too...It just starts by putting one foot in front of the other.  The bigger issue is what you are eating.  Going back to simple carbs (you can look those up) is the biggest problem with regain or not losing to get near goal weight.  Then things like the birthday parties, holidays, special dinners come into play...You don't want to seem rude...So you partake in what you know you shouldn't be doing.

Just saying if you can get in 30 minutes of walking it should be great.  But, the bigger issue is the food eating patterns.  Brian

cabin111
on 3/3/16 5:54 pm, edited 3/3/16 10:46 am

We have known this for years...

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/4/16 6:08 am
RNY on 03/01/16

My bariatric doctor says that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise.  Personally, I've found it to be 100% diet lol.  That being said, 30 minutes of walking a day will do wonders for your health.  Maybe get a good mp3 player loaded with some tunes and see if that helps with the boredom of walking?

As for your diet, you can get a really good picture of what you're taking in by monitoring your calorie intake.  You can use a tool like myfitnesspal.com to help you.  

What were your doctor's recommendations for your diet change?

Willie H.
on 3/4/16 7:32 am
VSG on 08/26/14

ALL good advice. The best thing I have learned from VSG is that NUTRITION is the key! You cannot out train a bad diet. I lost 100 lbs in my first 10 months after VSG but have yo-yo'ed in weight loss in the last 8 months-actually right now I'm up about 2-3 lbs. Yet I train and exercise religiously 4-5 days a week, but.....it all comes down to diet, nutrition, yes food!

It can be frustrating because before the surgery I could lose weight easily on 1800-2000 calories a day. Now I will gain weight on 1800 calories a day!! So if we know, we need to do. I know if I want to continue losing I have to go down to about 1000 calories a day with exercise. I know 1200-1400 calories WITH exercise keeps me at the same weight but if I cut the simple carbs as mentioned in another post I will lose weight. So eventually we have to know what it is that makes us gain or lose.

Eating less with more protein, less simple carbs, exercise and water is the way to go-oh, and don't forget SLEEP! Sleep is very important!!

It may sound harsh but make YOURSELF accountable to yourself! Know your body, know your triggers. That's what I do. I'm not losing now but I KNOW why! It's no secret. If I want to lose more weight I KNOW what to do!

To be honest I wanted a break-probably not the best idea for any of us because it leads us back to our old ways and something I would NEVER recommend to someone else!  

But I have started back eating correctly now and that means getting off my lazy butt and doing food preparation in advance. Also setting a goal. And recording my food intake in a journal. All of which I have now done. It really is a journey of health and I don't pretend to know all the answers but that is why I come to this forum to stand on the shoulders of those before me so I can see what is ahead.

The key is activity, movement, eating less, eating better, sleep and water intake-it really is that simple! Yes, I know, for many of us-hard to start-but every journey begins with that first step!! We know what we need to do-so just do it!!! I wish you well!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Grim_Traveller
on 3/5/16 7:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Walking is great. Extra activity whenever you can is also great. Taking extra stairs, parking farther away, doing an extra lap around the store. Whatever you can.

A Fitbit or other tracker is very helpful. It will get you to walk more, and be consistent.

Exercise is good for health. Weight is all about the food. There are lots of studies that show exercise is really not helpful for weight loss.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/16 8:24 am

Use Fitbit or iPhone with a tool like MyFitNessPal. Just monitoring your steps everyday will help you stay focused.

Simple walking around is fine, and the more you are self aware, the less likely you are to make poor eating decisions, which we all do. Just try to keep it in check.

spuddzy
on 3/8/16 4:05 pm - NY

I would like to buy a fitbit. Are they pretty much the same. I need to track calories and steps but cannot keep track myself...I would like to lose about 10 more lbs. I write down what I eat but never figured out math on how much I figured about 1000 a day.

spuddzy

Chinadolls
on 3/26/16 10:33 am

I would recommend the Fitbit HR (heart rate tracker).  It works great and is very motivating - really increases your awareness of how active or inactive you are.  10,000 steps a day is a good attainable goal that will have positive health impacts.  The Fitbit with an iPhone or pc will also allow you to track your food as well - and break down what and how much you are eating.  I am still pre-op but I am trying very hard to stay focused on this lifelong challenge!

Good Luck!

Gwen M.
on 3/6/16 12:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You can't out run (or out walk) a bad diet, so really take a look at what you're eating.  Walking is GREAT for your health. So you should do it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active