Fueling for Ultra's

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/16 7:01 am - Concord, NC

What are you guys using to fuel on your longer runs? I sometimes have problems with the gels not digesting too well. I use Tailwind in my bottles but have not found much in the way of food. Thanks in advance

docbad32
on 12/12/16 6:00 am

It's been rough and a ton of experimenting.  Still haven't settled on any real great solution.  The biggest issue for me is eating a bunch and drinking.  Just no room.  Right now I'm using a mix of tailwind, nut butter, and gels.  Seems to be working all right, just not real appetizing after a while.

VSG:  3/12/15

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/16 6:08 am - Concord, NC

i use tailwind as well...the Gels seem to sit in the stomach for awhile then they want to come back up. I live a pretty low carb lifestyle so I am thinking about trying some "fat bombs" next weekend on my long run. Are you using a camel pack?

GooseGirl
on 12/15/16 6:24 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Not sure how long you mean by "longer runs". My fueling changes a bit depending upon how many miles I'm doing. Here is my general routine:

1) 10 miles or less - greek yogurt before miles and 1 gu mid-point. I had to experiment to find a flavor that worked for me. My two favorites are Salted Caramel and Caramel Macchiato. If gu doesn't work try the gummies or jelly beans. Maybe one of those will work better. 

2) 12 - 18 miles - Oatmeal & chocolate milk before mileage. 1 GU at the beginning and then every 50 minutes after. Chocolate mile immediately after and some small food item (that varies)

3) 20+ miles - Same pre-mileage meal and same strategy with the GU but I also take a break midway and eat some real food. If it's a training day then I may eat a small breakfast taco or bagel w/ peanut butter. If it's an event day then I tend towards peanut butter crackers and/or m&ms. Something portable that I can space out every 1/2 mile or so. I can't do a lot of food at one time if I still have several miles to go but my body definitely needs the fuel and mentally my body wants real food after being up & active for several hours. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/16 4:14 pm - Concord, NC

Right On! Thanks for the info! to add to my issue, I pretty much live a very low carb lifestyle. I did a 13.5 training run the other day just using Tailwind and felt pretty good. Although the coffee that I had pre run didn't want to stay down at about 10 in. I will experiment with Fat Bombs this weekend and see if I can tolerate those. I may have to try oatmeal for a pre run meal. How long before you run do you eat Goose? 

Most Active