2018 Will Be The Year I Get My Ass Kicked

Knitter215
on 1/5/18 6:00 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

So, I'm doing this to be accountable. In April 2016, I decided I had to do something. I was 271.5 pounds at 5'3" and miserable. I had my VSG done in August 2016. In May 2016, I started working with a personal trainer. I continued to do my work outs and watch my food.

Here's the kicker - in my teens, I was a nationally ranked athlete. But developed knee problems due to my sport and now, at 56 have bone on bone knees. But I was a competitor - I guess I always have been.

Fast forward to March 2017 - younger daughter decides to quit fencing and has five private lessons still available. (For which I had paid $150.) Having seen what her coach did over the last 2 years, I grabbed her gear, tried it on and it fit. I figured if nothing else, it was a good 30 minute High intensity workout.

But I fell in love with the sport. I now spend 5 hours a week fencing, including one private lesson a week for myself. I'm with an adult class and have started competing in tournaments.

Now, fencing is a sport that is age aligned. So I compete as a veteran (anyone older than 40). There aren't a lot of over 40 events. But, technically, I can fence in any event which is "open" meaning I can fence against any other fencer born after 2004. Now, let's think about this - my kids were born in 1999 and 2003. I could be fencing my own kids.

Yet, I have decided I'm going to enter any tournament within 100 miles of my zip code this year open to fencers in my rating (unrated) that I can get to time wise.

So, January 13 - I have a veteran (over 40) tournament. February 4, Div. 2 where I will get my ass kicked by 15 other fencers who are younger, faster and have been fencing longer. But I don't care. The only way I'm going to get better is to get my ass kicked.

So 2018 is my year of getting my ass kicked as many times as I can and learning as much as I can from fencing all different kinds of fencers.

So, pray for me. Encourage me when I whine here about getting my ass kicked and remind me that I'm doing this to get better.

Because my long-term goal is to be eligible to fence as a member of the US Women's Veteran Foil Squad at the World Championships in 4 years when I turn 60. I need to get my ass kicked now so I'm better then.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

highlandbear
on 1/5/18 7:39 pm - Canada

Proud of you and you can do this. We will be here when you need us. I keep thinking in the coming years of ironman but it is the money that stops me. So expensive and would have to travel to do it.

cabin111
on 1/5/18 8:02 pm
aRNa
on 1/13/18 9:27 pm

That sounds a fantastic plan Diana! And the best way to exercise is definitely doing something you love. I look forward to hearing from you how well or otherwise you're getting your ass kicked!

Knitter215
on 1/14/18 11:19 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Well, first tournament of the year was a bust, I was the only fencer in my age bracket that registered. I have another set up for Feb 4 where there will be kids the ages of my kids (15-18) who will likely kick my ass, but I will rely and wisdom and treachery versus speed and flexibility. Thanks for all your support.

Keep on losing!

Diana

aRNa
on 1/14/18 3:28 pm, edited 1/14/18 7:28 am

Hard to have a bust on your first tornament of the year. A lot to be said for treachery and wisdom though! Your plan to just keep going at it regardless of ages of opponents is wise in itself and takes guts that obviously you?re made of tough stuff. You're going to get so much out of this Diana, I really admire you!

LindsayHack
on 1/15/18 2:23 pm

Amazing! Congrats on a great goal!

redmarx08
on 2/21/18 10:30 pm

Reach for the goal. You can do it.

Knitter215
on 2/22/18 8:10 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

So - update on the ass kicking.

On Superbowl Sunday I fenced kids I could have given birth to - in fact most of the kids were in the same age ranges as my own girls who are 15 and 18. I came in, when all was said and done, 37 of 49. I was more than pleased with my performance.

I have since been notified that I have qualified to fence a Summer Nationals and the April North American Cup in my own Veteran division as well as Div 2 and Div 3.

I'm going to Richmond in April to fence for three days in three events. I don't care how many times my butt gets kicked, I'm getting better. I have a tournament at my home club in Philly in March.

Thanks for all your support.

Keep on losing!

Diana

Most Active