First Holiday Season after surgery.

gman1972
on 1/3/12 2:58 am
Hi Everyone,
XOXOXO

So this was my first holiday season after surgery. It was pretty uneventful, I did graze more than I should of and partake of things I wouldnt normally of but didn't go crazy and stayed conscious of being "FULL".
I still baked and cooked for with all 17 of my Italian family members, but I did alot more "can I get you some more Lasagna or Spedini" than eating. So I lived vicariously through their stomachs. I had a couple of drinks here and there while at various functions, but only a lil over doing it Christmas Eve.
I didn't gain anything and might of lost a pound or two so it was a success as far as eating goes.
Where I failed miserably, which wasn't a hug shock to me, was in exercising. This is the worst time of the year for me, November, December, January. I get all SAD and cranky and lazy. Add that with the fact that work has just kicked my ass, I was doomed.
So I signed up for a Tai Chi class over the next 6 weeks and am back on my protein shakes so I can bring in the year 1 mark with a bang. Laine also told me that we are going on vacation in February even if he has to call my Director and tell him so, someplace warm I hope with sunshine.
How did you all do, physically and mentally?

Hugs
G

Ithocles
on 1/3/12 11:30 pm
Hello G,

You should be really proud of your success over the holidays!  You did really, really good.  I hope you and Laine get to go somewhere very warm and sunny and good for him for twisting your arm to get you on a vacation, even if he does have to wrestle your director.  You deserve it.

I did well mentally, but not so well physically.  I didn't eat to the point of being uncomfortable, but I did eat foods that normally I would not have.  I am doing well exercising though.  I did have to cut down on the jogging since my knee was acting up.  It's not my age has been my mantra!  :)  Mrs. Y (my pet name for the YWCA) and I have been on good terms and will be getting closer.  I'm going to start the Yoga class, and maybe more.  They have a PiYo class (Pilates and Yoga) that I think would be fun.  We'll see.

Hugs to you and everyone else.

Regards,

Danny

ruggie
on 1/5/12 4:52 am - Sacramento, CA
 Congrats to you!  

I wasn't as successful as you - I only maintained my weight; I didn't end up losing the last week of December when I was off work. So happy the holiday is over now!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Barb H.
on 1/5/12 5:48 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I tend to get depressed in November and December. It sneaks up on me every year and I fall into a dark pit for a bit before I remember that December is an anniversary month for some old traumas, then I can pull out of it. My shrink suggested I even mark my calendar next year so I can be emotionally prepared before it hits. Smart idea.

But I also wanted to say to all of you that all in all, you did incredibly well through the holidays! So you may have been lacking in exercise, but you are now committed to getting back on track, so good on ya! I'll be 11 months out next holiday season and want to do as well (or better....) than you have.

Aloha,
Barb

PS - I live in a warm place.....
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

CCinIndiana
on 1/6/12 12:24 am - IN
I was off for 2 weeks over Christmas and did lousy!  I didn't realize how much the structure of going to work every day helped me.  For the first time in my six months I ate stuff in between meals and learned what sliders are.  I also didn't lose any weight those two weeks.  I am back at work and working really hard to break that snacking in the evening habit, I so quickly developed!  Pita chips and pop corn are not my friends. 

Cathi
OneFinger
on 1/8/12 11:55 am
Congrats on making it through your first holidays!!

I'm in "maintenance mode" since meeting my goal weight. I've been able to keep within my goal weight of 180 lbs to 190 lbs. I'm currently at 182 lbs which is great for me!!

But, one thing I've noticed is a problem with the way my body reacts to carbs. I found that I fall to sleep right after dinner and I "think" that's related to late dumping syndrome. I suggest people go to the Men's Forum on this site for more information on late dumping syndrome.

In short, as I've started adding carbs to my diet my body is processing them differently than before. I tend to fall asleep for 1-2 hours after eating carbs.

So, I'm really watching my carb in-take and am taking them out of my diet (again). After RNY surgery, carbs are NOT your friend.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 367 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 939 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1316 views