Exercise Regimen?

MinneBill
on 1/23/12 3:24 am, edited 1/23/12 3:55 am - MN
I was wondering if anyone could share with me your normal work-out routines.  I am curious as to how many days per week/hours per session you have focused on cardio  & strength training... particularly at different stages post-surgery.

I hate gyms, so I tend to workout at home. 

I have a wonderful eliptical machine and have just ordered a bowflex (can't wait to have it delivered!) so I will have opportunity for cardio and strength during the cold Minnesota winter.

Since about 4 weeks after surgery, I have only been comfortable on the eliptical about 20 mins a session 3x a week.  I know this isn't enough exercise.  I go little over a mile in that time and am completely exhausted.  I do walk and other supplemental stuff, as well.  I am getting flabby chicken arms as the weight is coming off, so I know I need to add strength training.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill

Ithocles
on 1/23/12 9:34 am
Hello Bill,

To be honest, I haven't started strenght training yet but know that I need too.  I'm still very self conscious as well, and while I'll do the aerobic equipment at the gym, I'm still out on the other stuff.

I do exercise six days a week, 40 minutes each day.  I do the Couch to 5K program, and I'm up to running six-minute segments followed by two minute walking segments.  It's about to kill me though.  I do one day running, and then one day walking.  That gives me three days of each.  I make sure to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone on the running days and the weight loss zone on the walking days.  So far it's working for me.

Let us know how you like the bow flex!  I'd love to get one.

Hugs,

Danny

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/12 1:55 am
I go to gym 7 days a week for about 1.5 hours each visit. I jog for  5 minutes than kick it up to 6 minutes and 1 walk and than 7 minutes and 1 and than i fini**** up till I get 3 miles total.  Than I lift upper body and  on the opposite days  days a week I do elliptical and lower body on Sunday I swim 2 miles.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 1/25/12 3:12 am
When I was first starting out I found this article helpful: exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/cardiostrength.htm

I think switching things up and changing the intensity is very important. To 1) not get bored, and 2) help keep your body fit as it will get used to doing a certain set of things and no longer help you lose weight.

Personally, I do 2 days of strength (though I'm going to add a 3rd soon) and 4 days of cardio (2 day 1hr spin, 2day long hilly rides of changing terrain).

Good Luck,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

tabbott4
on 1/25/12 8:47 am - VA
Hello Bill
I am not a fan of the gym.  I have been walking 3 miles since 1 week out and now can soft jog it i do this five times a week and i do step arobics three times a week sith low weights.  with the stepper i just put on th ipod and make it up as i go.   I did six sessions with a trainer and at the end of it i realized that the only thing i would stick to was walking and my stepper. 
With the weights i use im only at five pounds I have notices some development in the arms but I still have the flabby chicken arms.

rtptjd
on 2/1/12 2:22 am - Atlanta, GA
Bill, you will love the BowFlex. I have one even though right now I am working out with a trainer at a gym. The BowFlex is very smooth and doesn't hurt my joints the way some machines do. It's also quick and easy to change from one exercise to the next. If you're consistent with your strength training, you'll soon be able to kiss those "chicken" arms goodbye.

I agree w/ Danni: variety is key to avoid getting bored AND getting hurt. I shoot for 2 days a week of strength training, and 3-5 days per week of cardio. I do this on my treadmill, usually alternating walking with a slow jog (on your elliptical just vary the pace). As the weather gets nicer, move your workouts outdoors and change your walk/run routes for a variety of terrain and scenery. Also, you might consider cycling (stationary bike or real one)and swimming when the weather warms up. Look for outdoor fitness trails where there are various exercise stations to add things like push-ups, pull-ups, etc. to your walk. Anything to keep the routine interesting!

Above all, pace yourself and don't rush. Don't overdo it. Make sure you take some time to stretch after your muscles have warmed up a bit. If something hurts and/or doesn't feel right, stop. If your budget allows, you might want to find a personal trainer to help you out over a few sessions. Their expertise is very valuable with regard to proper form, exercises, etc.

Best of luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 370 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 940 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1320 views