Would you do it again? Everyone please answer

just-thinking-about-it
on 8/5/09 12:34 pm
Hello,
I am new to this board and to the whole lapband thing.  My sister and I went to see our doctor yesterday to start our process for surgery.  My sister's ins. will pay for her's, I will be paying cash.  She called me today and decided not to go through with it.  She is to scared of the not eating the things she loves like soda and ground beef.  But I think we both fear the PB's and all the stuff that seems to happen.  I already get reflux almost on a nightly basis so I'm used to that part, my doctor said it should improve after the surgery.  Anyone else have this problem and did it get better?  And I guess my biggest question is. Would you really go through this again?  Even with the problems, would you wish this on your very best loved friend?  I really want my sister and I to go through this together.  Thank you in advance for your answers.
kathkeb
on 8/5/09 12:40 pm
Absolutely ---- I self-paid and would pay double for the benefits I have had in just 9 weeks.

Only wish I had done it years ago.
Kath

jbrown85
on 8/5/09 12:41 pm

In a heartbeat!!  For me this was the best decision of my life.  With my friends I am careful not
to sway them one way or another because I know it hasn't been the best decision for everyone.
But for most it seems like they are thrilled with their decision.  The only problem I have had is
reflux due to being to tight with a fill.  I have had a small amount let out of band and the reflux is
so much better.  I was worried about not being able to eat what I love but to tell you the truth I really do eat whatever I want it seems I just don't want alot of the stuff I used to.  My friends thought it would be impossible for me not to have my diet soda in the morning but I have not had
a soda in a year and really haven't missed it at all.  Alot of people still do drink soda I just really have no desire to.  Good Luck with your decisions

wsmommy
on 8/5/09 12:43 pm
Yep, I had really bad reflux before the surgery.  My surgeon told me that it might get better after surgery, but there was no guarantee.  He told me to look up reflux and lapband on a search engine which led me to this site and made me feel so much better about things.

Flash forward 7 months, my surgery went well, I've lost 63 pounds so far, my reflux is completely gone (unless I eat something spicy and go right to bed!),  I am completely off of my blood sugar meds and my health is so much better.  I exercise, enjoy my time with my family doing more active things and wouldn't change any of it for the world!

Do I miss soda? Sometimes, but for the most part I don't.  I can still eat ground beef, chicken etc. and I have good restriction right now.  I am one of the lucky ones, I have never PB'd and I think I've only been stuck once.  I don't know for sure if I was stuck because there was no sliming or food coming back up just some pain around my sternum for an hour. 

I understand your sister's fears and sometimes fear is a good thing.  Sometimes it causes you to really think about your choices and with the band this is important.  You have to follow the rules if you want your tool to work.  And, that is all it is, a tool.  The majority of it is still up to you and the choices you make.

Good luck to both of you!  You will find a ton of information on this site and a lot of really nice, well-informed people here.  :)

dsjordan436
on 8/5/09 12:50 pm - Melrose, FL
I had MAJOR problems with reflux before surgery.  Since surgery I have NONE. 

I guess you need to weigh (no pun intended) the pros and cons in regards to your quality of life.  Do you like being obese, having tight clothes, or having to go buy clothes that are huge??  Do you like getting out of breath climbing the stairs in the parking garage or squeezing into the booth at the restaurant??  Do you like those pictures taken at get togethers that have you sitting there with your gut taking up the whole picture??  OR... do you like the thought of sitting wherever you want when going out to eat, having people comment on your new outfit that looks really good or just being able to walk where you want with whoever and not have to say.... "I need to rest for a minute".  Not only is my health better.... no more CPAP, no more reflux, no more "wait for me"....  I love watching my clothes getting too big and kicking them to the curb.  I love the fact that I am okay not drinking soda or eating junk food.  It is out of my system and I like it.

I would do this again in a heart beat.  My surgeon is awesome and my support system is great.  I'm okay with eating less and I now can do things I haven't done in a long time.  I am thankful for my band and what it has taught me.  I would wish this on anyone who is serious about a better quality of life.

Hope this helps.

Donna.
Karlie J.
on 8/5/09 12:55 pm
RNY on 02/16/15 with
I would do this again tomorrow no question. It is the best decision I ever made - I only wish I'd made it sooner.

I paid cash for mine as well - so I can relate to how you feel. It's a big investment, but think about all the money you would throw into trying Weigh****chers again or Jenny Craig or worse the medications and things you may need down the road if you don't do this.

I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you my story. This whole process went very quickly for me. I didn't even consider getting banded until the end of September 2008 and was banded before Thanksgiving of 2008. My doctor requires a week long low carb, all liquid diet pre-op. I'm not going to lie and say it was fun - it was miserable. Post-op I was on liquids for 2 weeks, then pureed for 2 weeks before I could eat normally again. This varies from doctor to doctor - my surgeon tends to be cautious. Again, the liquid was pretty miserable - by Thanksgiving I was over a week out of surgery and still unable to eat and was not a happy camper. Pureed was like a gift from above. Basically, for 3 weeks of my life (really 2 because for about a week after surgery I wasn't really hungry and was happy to sip on juice and water) I was pretty miserable, but what's 2 weeks in the grand scheme of things. Now I'm almost 9 months out and will (if things continue) hit 60lbs in the next week or so.

I am a bit of a rare bird. I can eat anything and have never gotten stuck or PB'd. I recovered really quickly from surgery - I never took the painkillers they prescribed, was driving 2 days out and was sleeping comfortably 3 days out. I will say am a slow loser, but I haven't given anything up. I have 1/2 cup of light ice cream almost every day, I eat pasta when I crave it (Barilla pasta plus), I go out to eat with friends and just eat until I'm full, I have told almost no one that I had surgery (just immediate family and 2 close friends), and I just started writing down what I eat and counting calories 2 weeks ago. I may be a slower loser than a lot of people who are banded, but I have consistantly lost 1-2lbs/week since surgery and I am able to live my life in a way where only people who know I'm banded are aware. I also exercise 6x/week for and hour most of the time.

You have to make the decision that's right for you, but from my experience would do this again in a second. I would tell anyone to do it - I often see people struggling with weight loss and just hope they see a commerical for lapband and take steps to get it. The lapband only works if you work with it - if you pick protein first and generally make good choices this will be a great tool for you, if you choose to have milkshakes and not follow up with your surgeon it will be difficult.

Sorry I rambled. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
halfcup
on 8/5/09 12:55 pm
Absolutely I would do it again in a flash.  I am 10 months out, over 70 pounds lighter.  I have tons of energy and not one problem

PB's they are few and far between.  But in my mind, PB's are a reminder that you have a band to control and minimize your eating.  If you eat right, slow, chew your food and listen to your body, and be careful not to get your band too tight,  you won't have many. 

I have very lttle food aversions.  Soda, well I haven't really had a soda and don't miss it.  But I did indulge once or twice in a club soda with lemon that had lots of fizz and I didn't have a problem.  Most nutritionists will say it is OK after 5 or so months as long as you can tolerate it.

Everything in moderation is the key.

I love my band and could never have lost this weight without it.

Good luck with your decision.

Barb
Lisa O.
on 8/5/09 1:03 pm - Snoqualmie, WA

My only regret is that I didn't know about it years ago!  I was taking perscription reflux meds prior.  During surgery they repaired a hiatal hernia and I haven't had reflux once in 9 months! 

I've lost 98 lbs in 8.5 months and don't regret anything about my decision.  The other piece of news that I can share is that I can eat almost everything I liked before but just a lot less of it.  The only things I don't tolerate well are white bread, white rice and pasta but I can eat whole grain bread, brown rice and whole wheat pastas to a certain extent.

If your sister isn't willing to give up the food then she isn't ready.  I haven't had soda since surgery and don't miss it at all, really!  There are so many great flavored waters out ther and teas, etc. I'm perfectly happy and for what ever reason I think giving up the soda has helped my weight loss.  Ground beef I can eat.

You do have to be willing to give up eating a ton of food though.  Once you have restriction you will be limited but will truly be satisfied with just a very small amount of food.  When I get stuck or have a PB episode it's always my faoult becuase I eat too fast or don't chew well enough.  It is within your control!  It's not like you just go around throwing up for no reason. 

Today I'm living the life of a person who eats for fuel, not to stuff down emotions.  I'm working on the emotions that I managed with food and life is good!

All the best!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

LoriPA
on 8/5/09 1:19 pm - McKeesport, PA
Short and sweet reply:

YES!!!!

My three year band-niversary is March 22, 2010!

sahmof3
on 8/5/09 1:26 pm - VA
On August 5, 2009 at 8:19 PM Pacific Time, LoriPA wrote:
Short and sweet reply:

YES!!!!
I second that!
Weight Lost since pre-op diet on 3/6/08 (Drs. scale has me 0.8 lbs less)

1st Fill on 4/28/08-3.2 cc; 2nd 5/16/08-0.3cc; 3rd 8/27/09-1.6cc; 4th 10/16/09-0.6cc; 5th 12/10/09-1.4cc
Most Active