ketones and protein in urine?

April22
on 10/19/10 12:14 pm

I had my annual exam at my ob/gyn. This afternoon, the nurse called me and said I had ketones and protein in my urine. She said my gyn dr thinks that it may be related to having a lapband. I have done some research online and I dont really like what I am seeing. My lapband dr's office was already closed too. Now I feel extremely stressed! Has anyone experienced this? I would love to hear you input if you know anything about this... thanks!

More than just a pretty face

Banded 07/09/10 by Dr. Joseph Cribbins, Dallas, TX
Heaviest: 287 lbs
Surgery: 275 lbs
Goal: 175 lbs to start then we will see....

Thundergrrrl
on 10/19/10 1:35 pm
I could be completely wrong but I thought ketones in the urine was just an indication of fat being burned through "ketosis" (when you're not eating any or enough carbs and your body breaks down fat for energy.) It's different than "ketoacidosis" which is the dangerous state that people confuse with ketosis. Ketogenic diets like Atkins work based on ketones being in the urine. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

donnamy3sons
on 10/19/10 2:02 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13
ketones is from being dehydrated or not eating enough food, the protien could also be from being dehydrated. try not to worry too much, just really increase your fluid intake and make sure you are eating enough....good luck!

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/19/10 10:44 pm - Mexico
On October 19, 2010 at 9:02 PM Pacific Time, donnamy3sons wrote:
ketones is from being dehydrated or not eating enough food, the protien could also be from being dehydrated. try not to worry too much, just really increase your fluid intake and make sure you are eating enough....good luck!

Not really.  Ketones are a sign fat is being burned, not dehydration.  When fat is burned it is changed into various chemicals and ketones are one of them.

Ketosis is no big deal, ketoacidoses is a big deal.

People doing low carb are looking for ketones, they want it.  

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
donnamy3sons
on 10/20/10 3:06 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13
You are right about the fat being burned off can cause ketosis (as with atkins) but dehydration can cause ketosis. I am a nurse in L&D and this is one of the things we check for in our OB patients, especially if they have been throwing u*****t eating. Same sort of concept though with the fat being burned off. Good point!

April22
on 10/19/10 2:05 pm
I think you are right... i did see that in one of the articles I read on webmd. Makes me feel a little better. Will be calling the doctors office bright and early just to relax my mind.
 More than just a pretty face

Banded 07/09/10 by Dr. Joseph Cribbins, Dallas, TX
Heaviest: 287 lbs
Surgery: 275 lbs
Goal: 175 lbs to start then we will see....

sandycnv
on 10/19/10 2:47 pm - Clayton, CA

I am not banded and my OB tells me I have protein in my urine every time I visit. She tells me it is because I am dehydrated. I NEVER drink water. I am not bragging just telling the truth. Try drinking more water.
Leslie C.
on 10/19/10 10:35 pm - Kenner, LA
Hi April,

Don't worry. You want to have Ketones in your urine. It just means you are in ketosis. For those of us restricting carbs that is what happens.  

As for the protein, we take in more protein and it is excreated in the urine. That is why and increase in water is vital. It does mean dehydration. 

Congratulation!!  You just need more water.

Leslie

a person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it

HW 274/pre-op 266/NW210/GW160 5' 8"

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/19/10 10:48 pm - Mexico
On October 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, April22 wrote:

I had my annual exam at my ob/gyn. This afternoon, the nurse called me and said I had ketones and protein in my urine. She said my gyn dr thinks that it may be related to having a lapband. I have done some research online and I dont really like what I am seeing. My lapband dr's office was already closed too. Now I feel extremely stressed! Has anyone experienced this? I would love to hear you input if you know anything about this... thanks!

No reason in the world to fret over ketones.  If you are doing low carb this is a natural side effect.  It's not due to the band, it's due to your diet.  You are probably doing low carb.  If you have ketones it's working.

Many want ketosis and they check for it daily.  There are strips you can buy, ketosticks.  Not sure if that is spelled correctly.  You can buy them in any larger pharmacy.  You pee on it daily and compare it to a color chart.

Protein is another issue, could be hydration issues, could be a UTI, could be blood in your urine, could be lots of things.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
pitablond
on 10/19/10 11:12 pm, edited 10/19/10 11:13 pm - Harrisburg, PA
I have no advice other than I would rethink who your ob/gyn is!  Your doctor "thinks" it may be related to your lap band?  My ob/gym would have been on it most likely sending me for more testing, not just blame the band and leave you stressing about it.  Good luck, I hope it's nothing!

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

Most Active