Grateful and A Little Scared

pw63
on 1/9/11 2:14 am
Hi all,

I wanted to share the success I've had and ask for support. When I went to my first Drs appt in Aug, my goals were to weigh under 200 lbs and to wear misses "normal" size clothing. Well, 3 1/2 months after surgery this has happened and that is so amazing. However, that success is tempered by my feeling really tentative and awkward. I came back from a 3-week trip overseas that was made so much better by the weigh loss but I feel really fragile and awkward in my body - I don't know what to eat, I just don't feel like myself - I think some of this is jet lag (got back a week ago) but I think some of this is the major changes in my body. For those of you that have lost a lot of weight, how did you cope with this and how long did it take for your mind to catch up with your body and realize this is the new you?
marjane67
on 1/9/11 3:37 am
congrats on your weight loss. you are way ahead of me, so I'll let you know how it feels when I catch up.  awesome job!!  just enjoy the new you :)

MJ

grannymedic1
on 1/9/11 10:47 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I fely rather off kilter, too. It is entirely normal to feel this way. I found the same things you have but am beginning to adjust, now. Many suffer from body dysmorphia much longer. Some of it depends upon how long you have been obese but certainly not all of it.

I was actually physically awkward, as well. I carried such a huge amount of weight around my middle that when it went down I had to adjust my stance and walking. I was tripping and falling all over the place.

There are so very many adjustments that it will take a long time to get through them. You have done an amazing job so far, so keep up the good work, and congratulations on your super weight loss!

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

pw63
on 1/9/11 11:17 am
Hi, thanks for your post, it helps me to hear I'm not the only one. So, pretty much been overweight my whole life, been over 200 lbs since college so 30 years. How long did it take for you to start feeling better, as the crying jags every few hours are getting to me. Were there tools you used that helped you? I think exercise and treating my body kindly help. Did you get these feelings when you got to a certain amount of weight loss or were they there all the time? I ask because before the trip, I had lost 54 lbs and that this is new in the last week since I returned from my trip. If it's easier to discuss in email, let me know. Thanks again for your response.
Most Active