Do we have to "diet" with the band? Not always!

Kate -True Brit
on 1/14/11 2:38 am - UK

I keep on being asked for tips on how to succeed. So I will list some here. Please note, these worked for me; many others would tell you that these are not the right way to go! But it is my way! It might be disastrous for you.

1. Don't count, measure or weigh food. Make what you know to be the healthy choice and the band (once you are restricted) will control the quantities for you. Counting makes you think of food all the time. (BUT this only works if you have restriction and know what constitutes healthy food, so you may have to ignore this tip at first)

2. Don't set short term goals with deadlines. You may well miss the deadline and you will then feel a failure. Goals are fine! Just not with deadlines. Also, you will think about food and weight all the time!

3. Weigh as often as you like but don't worry if you stall or even gain. Look at the monthly picture not the daily or weekly one.

4. Don't compare yourself to others. We are all different and in any case, no-one can guarantee that everything you read on a message board is true!!

5. Don't be unrealistic. It is going to take a long time to lose all that weight. Enjoy feeling better all the time and stop spending all your time fantasising about what has not yet happened.

6. Don't get hungry. Just makes you think of food all the time. Don't get hung up on the number of meals and snacks. Hunger is the enemy not food. So if you need an extra meal or snack, if it still keeps you in a reasonable daily intake, go for it.

7. Don't deprive yourself - only sets up an obsession for what you can't have - you can have it, just not much and not often.

8. Don't feel guilt when (not if, when) you make poor food choices. No point in being depraved (and depraved is so much more fun than deprived) if it doesn't give you pleasure! Just think, that was good, that is over, that is the past - and move on.

To me there are two enemies - and neither is food! I like food! My enemies are hunger and obsession. So I don't let myself do either! If I am genuinely hungry (and sorry, we have to learn to live with head hunger), I eat. And I keep food in its place, a wonderful substance, designed to keep me healthy and give me pleasure WHEN I WANT IT.

OK so I get it wrong sometimes; well, quite often, actually!  But most of the time, this is my philosophy.

Kate
Pollyanna Club

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

coachgrrl
on 1/14/11 2:57 am
 Kate this is very much what I do.

Now that I have good restriction I find the band really helps me with portion size if I use it correctly.  I do eat pretty much what I like.  But I stay away from bread, rice and pasta because it isn't band friendly for me..oh I can eat a little but not alot.  My 2 biggest demons at this point are baked goods such as cookies, sweets and chips...those I love and eat on occasion but really try to keep them out of the house

I don't look at it as a diet,  I aim for 1000 cal and 80 gms/protein a day

Dieting makes me miserable..ugh 

amt6
on 1/14/11 3:04 am - CT
Thanks for this post, Kate. I was just having a conversation this morning about #1 and couldn't agree with you more. I am 3 weeks post-op and am going NUTS with all of the restrictions from the nutritionist. I chose the band because I knew I would be able to make healthy choices and let the band control the portions. My doctor won't give me a fill for another week, but I can't WAIT to get to that point. I don't want to be on a low fat, low carb, low sugar DIET for the rest of my life. My plan for the future is to make good decisions, focus on the protein, and work with the band. I can't wait for my first fill to start putting this plan in action!

Hopefully this will lead me to success!
Life is a journey, not a destination**    
crystalLL
on 1/14/11 3:27 am - Hemet, CA
As usual...good post Kate! 

CRYSTAL LL    HW 357 SW 343  GW 175 (almost there)                                  
Kate -True Brit
on 1/14/11 3:31 am, edited 1/14/11 3:31 am - UK

See the resemblance?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

bleumonique
on 1/14/11 4:23 am, edited 1/14/11 4:24 am - los angeles, CA
What I have found

Re: 1. "Don't count, measure or weigh food. Make what you know to be the healthy choice and the band (once you are restricted) will control the quantities for you. Counting makes you think of food all the time."

I found this to be so very true.  I thought about food MUCH more when I counted calories, logged all protein, carbs, etc.  This doesnt mean don't think about what you are about to eat.  Counting did help me for a while ****pt a strict diary for about 3 months) and it helped re-teach me a lot about my choices. Now, I just know what works for me and I don't think of it as dieting anymore.

Re: 2. "Don't set short term goals with deadlines. You may well miss the deadline and you will then feel a failure. Goals are fine! Just not with deadlines. Also, you will think about food and weight all the time!" and re: 3. Weigh as often as you like but don't worry if you stall or even gain. Look at the monthly picture not the daily or weekly one.

I weigh in maybe 4 times a month or less, more if I see my weight go up and less, when it goes down.  I like to rack up those NSV more!

Re: 4. Don't compare yourself to others. We are all different and in any case, no-one can guarantee that everything you read on a message board is true!!

So very, very  true!

Re: 5. Don't be unrealistic. It is going to take a long time to lose all that weight. Enjoy feeling better all the time and stop spending all your time fantasising about what has not yet happened.

Enjoy what comes off, when it comes off.  Celebrate that 1/2 pound, because the next 1/2 is right behind it!

Re: 6. Don't get hungry. Just makes you think of food all the time. Don't get hung up on the number of meals and snacks. Hunger is the enemy not food. So if you need an extra meal or snack, if it still keeps you in a reasonable daily intake, go for it. and 7. Don't deprive yourself - only sets up an obsession for what you can't have - you can have it, just not much and not often.

So very true!

Re: 8. Don't feel guilt when (not if, when) you make poor food choices. No point in being depraved (and depraved is so much more fun than deprived) if it doesn't give you pleasure! Just think, that was good, that is over, that is the past - and move on.

When I was on liquids and proteins, I drank vegetable juice to help with savory cravings and crystal light to help with sweet cravings.  A poor food choice is not going to spoil everything you have done, but use that to rethink what you WILL have next time and tell yourself how good you will feel when you make that change. 

To me there are two enemies - and neither is food! I like food! My enemies are hunger and obsession. So I don't let myself do either! If I am genuinely hungry (and sorry, we have to learn to live with head hunger), I eat. And I keep food in its place, a wonderful substance, designed to keep me healthy and give me pleasure WHEN I WANT IT.

Hear, hear, Kate!
http://www.meetup.com/Lap-Band-Meetup/
Highest weight: 275; Consult: 265; 2 wks Pre-Op (5-14-10): 255;  current weight (9-26-11):

Largest Size: 24; Pre-Op Size (5-14-10): 20; Current Size (9-26-11): 14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

marjane67
on 1/14/11 2:04 pm

Thanks Kate - I needed that as I am still in bandster hell.....a gentle reminder is always good :)-

MJ

Most Active