Food Getting Stuck, but no restriction?

Ashleigh P.
on 1/14/11 1:49 am
Hey Everyone

I am about 3 1/2 months post surgery, and about a week ago I had another fill. (Started 4.5cc, 1st fill 1cc, 2nd fill .5cc in a 10cc band)  After my first fill I had NO restriction. I also rarely had any stuck episodes. Since my fill it feels like everything gets stuck, and I am not staying full. I am always hungry, and when I can eat stuff, it takes a lot to fill me up. I am not drinking while eating, and even the littlest things get stuck, like scrambled eggs.  I am eatting miniscule baby bites, and still this. I don't really know what to do, because what happens if you are too tight but no restriction? And I feel like I am barely eating but I am still gaining weight. Days like today are a bummer. :(

Any advice?

cheyenne000
on 1/14/11 1:55 am
VSG on 03/25/16
I hope you find this helpful I sure did

A great article re: restriction and how the band w EditDeleteMove Down

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Ashleigh P.
on 1/14/11 2:05 am
That is super helpful. Thank you for that link! :)
Hermosa L
on 1/14/11 2:39 am
I ate times have a hard time with eggs I have to eat it with something like eggs scrambled with a veggie so there is a texture there.. same with my cottage cheese.. too mushy get stuck believe it or not for me..

maybe drink hot tea before you eat will help you.. and really ask yourself is it head hungry because you want to eat more because you ate so little.. it's hard to wrap our brain around the fact that we are eating so little compared to what we used to.. it takes a little time...

Good luck.
happy-mommy
on 1/14/11 2:44 am - MD
I feel like I could have posted this same thing (minus the restriction). I was banded Oct 15 and had my 2nd fill last Friday.  Since then I haven't been able to eat more than a few bites (tiny, tiny, bites) before having to PB.  I have been eating mostly soup and liquids this week.  I am loving the amount of weight I have lost in a week (over 7lbs) but know this can't be right so am heading to the doctor today for a slight unfill.  I hope I am doing the right thing!
Hermosa L
on 1/14/11 2:57 am
you should get a tiny unfil because after awhile you get tired of soups and turn to slider onlys and then you don't lose any weight.

Small unfil you can eat real solid protein is your best bet.
TigerDi
on 1/14/11 4:15 pm - Cloquet, MN
The above article about restriction and how the band works is excellent and I hope that everyone reads it.  All the comments following the article are also excellent and very helpful too.  I have had my band for 14 months now and have experienced  the fills and 4 unfills, hard stops, eating soft foods, drinking hot caloried beverages cause they soothed the discomfort, no weight lose, the mental anguish and flustration of the whole banding situation.  Reading what everyone has to say helps me adjust my mind thoughts and see that others are also experiencing the same and we are all in this to help, encourage and support each other.  I go in Wednesday for a scheduled  "fill"  but will have an unfill again cause of the discomfort. I get a fill and within two weeks I seem to get swollen into a discomfort tightness. With all the soft foods I eat I don't know how I could cause irritation within the band area. I am getting tired of the slider foods and should own the yogurt factory!!!  I miss food!!!  Thanks for everyones help in your comments as us "silent" banders sit back and read knowing there are others out there sharing in the same situations.  I did order the BandWagon book by Jean McMillian and look forward to reading that.  This book was information I got off these postings!!!
TigerDi                
Christine D.
on 1/14/11 11:08 pm - CA
What is the name of the book that is referred to in the article/posts?

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/11 11:29 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
 That article that was posted is *excellent*!!  

I went through something similar when I was exactly where you are.  After my second fill, I struggled to comfortably eat solid foods.  So, I was hungry!  I resorted to eating stuff that went down easily (slider foods).  I knew this wasn't a good sign, and went back and had a tiny amount taken out.  I realized then that in order for the band to be effective for me, I had to keep it loose enough to eat solid foods.  But, you still have to find what foods have the right textures for you.  Scrambled eggs are actually one of the foods that can be a challenge for me, especially if I add cheese, which I love with scrambled eggs.  Gummy, gooey textures just seem to sit in the band.  

I'd recommend you consider a slight unfill, and then eat small meals/snacks of solid, whole foods 5-6 times a day to stay satisfied and to keep your metabolism rev'd up!

Good luck,

Tami
Most Active