Dairy and weight gain/stall

LesleeInGlastonbury
on 3/25/11 3:57 am - CT
On March 25, 2011 at 9:46 AM Pacific Time, Hermosa L wrote:
I don't drink skim milk anymore instead I use Almond Milk lactose free and I get 8 ounces for 45 calories... I use it in my protein shakes, high fiber cereal and to cook my oatmeal

Cottage cheese I eat on the rare but I prefer the lactos free kind

But I do eat 1-2 servings of cheese a day but I gave it up in things that I don't taste the diference.
For example.. I used to make my egg scramble with egg whites or egg beaters, ham or turkey low sodium, salsa and cheese. Now I omit the cheese and it doesn't really need it... this way I taste the egg more and I knock off those calories.

But when I'm eating deli roll ups.. I have to have the cheese ... a few slices of low sodium ham or turkey and 2 slices of WW cheese colby jack.. and some veggies on the side.

I also really try to mix up what I eat daily... I don't consume a protein bar everyday or shake everyday for breakfast. I mix it up between protein shake w/almond milk and 1/2 banana, oatmeal w/almond milk, high fiber cereal w/almond milk, deli roll ups, egg whites with wennie hewbrew 99% fat free ones 35 calories each, sometimes 1/2 a sandwich thin with 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese and 2 pieces of low sodium turkey, cottage cheese lactose free with pear so I think what helps me is the variety.. 

yes, I forgot about Almond Milk - I used to use the vanilla in my coffee - its excellent!  thanks for the reminder!!!

So if you eat something Lactose Free - does it negate the "dairy" properties of the food???
Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
The "Band" isn't Around Your Head
Leslee in Connecticut
3/9/09 240 BMI 38% Body Fat 44% Size 18 Measurements 44-36-45
10/9/2010 139 BMI 22% Body Fat 12% Size 2/3 Measurements 35-27-34
Current 155 BMI 24% Body Fat 18% Size 4/5 Measurements 36-28-35
Hermosa L
on 3/25/11 4:27 am

I googled it LOL.. no fat or reduced fat items have more lactose in them..

Lactose is a water-soluble molecule. Therefore, fat percentage and the curdling process have an impact on which foods may be tolerated. After the curdling process, lactose is found in the water portion (along with whey and casein), but is not found in the fat portion. Dairy products which are "fat reduced" or "fat free" generally have a slightly higher lactose percentage. Additionally, low fat dairy foods also often have various dairy derivatives such as milk solids added to them to enhance sweetness, increasing the lactose content.

The dairy industry has created low-lactose or lactose-free products to replace regular dairy. Lactose-free milk can be produced by passing milk over lactase enzyme bound to an inert carrier; once the molecule is cleaved, there are no lactose ill-effects. Forms are available with reduced amounts of lactose (typically 30% of normal), and alternatively with nearly 0%. The only noticeable difference from regular milk is a slightly sweeter taste due to the generation of glucose by lactose cleavage. It does not however contain more glucose, and is nutritionally identical to regular milk.

TO me it seem like it does.. "dairy is the lactose" so removing the lactose.. but who knows? In the isle where you buy almond milk and rice milk there is a brand called Slim Slender or something like that and they have coffee flavors.

Most Active