Dairy and weight gain/stall

LesleeInGlastonbury
on 3/24/11 11:07 am - CT
 I wanted to share something with you all.
I had eliminated dairy from my diet about 7 months ago - during that time I continued to lose weight. I had eliminated it due to the pre-compeition diet plan.  I never really missed it but I started getting bored with my oatmeal/egg white breakfast and started with plain greek yogurt with splenda and fat free cottage cheese with some diced ham, tomatoes, cukes and onions with a tbs of lite mayo.  So I had been doing that for about 3 weeks - and I GAINED 2.5 LBS.  Caloric intake did not change nor did my exercise.  Dairy is the only thing I can think of.
So 2 days ago i eliminated it again and weight is coming back off.

Dairy is a estrogen producer  - estrogen is a fat producer - so it is very possible (with me anyway) that my body is very sensitive to dairy.  Funny thing too is that I gained in my boobs and booty - reminds me of when I was on the "pill".

So for those who are stalled/gained - play around with your dairy and see what happens.  

Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
The "Band" isn't Around Your Head
Leslee in Connecticut
3/9/09 240 BMI 38% Body Fat 44% Size 18 Measurements 44-36-45
10/9/2010 139 BMI 22% Body Fat 12% Size 2/3 Measurements 35-27-34
Current 155 BMI 24% Body Fat 18% Size 4/5 Measurements 36-28-35
Kate -True Brit
on 3/24/11 11:42 am - UK

Interesting!    Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 4:04 pm - San Diego, CA
Interesting analysis Leslee!!  It's crazy when you really monitor daily food intakes.  You can totally pinpoint changes and how they affect your weight.  I'm an avid food journaler too.  Kind of second nature now I guess.  Hey...it works for me so why change it right!?! This maintenance thing takes fine tuning long-term. :)  Thanks for sharing.
rainbow_runner
on 3/25/11 12:33 am

Ya know, just this morning I was thinking about the fact that I drink 3-4 cups of coffee with cream every day and also frequently eat yogurt (I stopped eating the Greek yogurt because it was TOO good and turned into a trigger food for me).  I've been at a stall for almost 2 months, although I started weight training 2 weeks ago and am starting to see a bit of a budge in the scale.  BUT, giving up dairy is definitely worth a try.  Now if I can only give up cream in my coffee .... ohhh, that's gonna be hard.... but thanks for your perspective, it is definitely something to consider!!

LesleeInGlastonbury
on 3/25/11 1:29 am - CT
 Try a non dairy fat free creamer - nothing wrong with that!  I use land o lakes fat free cream - still dairy but 1 tsp 2-3x day isn't bad. 

Also I noticed i get gassy with dairy so I wonder if its a bit of lactose  intolerance.  I heard that  people with Gluten allergy react similar with weight gain and gas.  At least with the Band we are, for the most part, more mindful of eating and more intune with our bodies as we feel every single swallow of food!
Leslee in Connecticut
PameW
on 3/25/11 1:52 am
Leslee:

Thank you so much for the insight! I'm trying to figure out why my weight is fluctuating all over the place and you might have just figured it out for me. Since I HATE milk, cheese was the only dairy I was taking in. And I eat a lot of cheese! I think I need to kick it to the curb and see what happens! Thanks for giving me the insight!

I'm going to cut it out next week and see what the results are & I'll let you know if that was indeed the trigger food!

Pam
carynw-45
on 3/25/11 2:40 am - Houston, TX
I wish daily was my problem I love sugar, carbs are my triggers and it seems like its the only thing I can get down.  I still have problems with meat ever the baby bites.  Was banded 09/16/09. Have lost atotal of 72 lbs.  Stopped exercising and started eating sugarier snacks instead of a meal.  Now trying to get back on track and get back to exercising.  Thanks for the daily tip .
LesleeInGlastonbury
on 3/25/11 3:54 am - CT
On March 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM Pacific Time, carynw-45 wrote:
I wish daily was my problem I love sugar, carbs are my triggers and it seems like its the only thing I can get down.  I still have problems with meat ever the baby bites.  Was banded 09/16/09. Have lost atotal of 72 lbs.  Stopped exercising and started eating sugarier snacks instead of a meal.  Now trying to get back on track and get back to exercising.  Thanks for the daily tip .
 Cary
Do I have something to Tell YOU!
OK - rewind to early January - I had just lost my Mom on Christmas day which sent me into a tizzy of emotions - first thing that happened was I lost 3 lbs but I wasn't eating - my stomach was in knots - I didn't stress because I knew this would only be temporary.  BUT after the initial week or so I was faced with the stress of cleaning out her room and taking care of my 92 yr OLD GRANDMOTHER who lived in the same house with my Mom.  Which by the way is the same house I grew up in - with both of them (old italian family - lots of food - use food to quiet down only child - use good as company for only child - use food - use food - use food - u get the picture!)
So going to my grandmother house every day caused many early habits to rear their ugly head - such as never pass by the cookie jar without taking a handful of cookies .  Candy dishes always full and Nana insisting i eat.  Well I did eat - part due to old habits and part due to trying to ease the stress.  So after a week of that I decided to get a tiny fill - now this is where you need to pay attention - I explained to the doc what was going on and that I needed a little reminder to stop eating so i wouldnt eat the junk food - well he relunctantly gave me .25 cc.  So I go home feeling quite restricted and hard to even take big sips of water.  In 2 days when going back to solids, it was impossible for me to eat any protein - i struggled and puked.  So I was starving.  I picked up a cookie or a piece of cake and I cud eat it - no prob-lemo!  So listen carefully - after a week of physically eating Sugary carbs I went back to the doc (and he said he expected me to return) and got an unfill.
Moral of the story - when you are TOO tight, you cannot physically eat your protein - its too dense and it will get stuck.  Sugary fatty foods slip right down that narrow opening.  IF YOU ARE TOO TIGHT YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT!!!!  The key to have the band where u can eat 60-100 gr of protein a day - if you consume that amount of protein - you will not be hungry.  However when you start with the sugar - IT ACTS LIKE AN ADDICTION - you will crave more as you eat more.  Eat less (very low glycemic foods) and your body will eventually (1-5 days) forget about them.  
Cary - make an appt for a partial unfill - so u can get ur protein in.  You will start losing weight again!!! I promise u that!
Leslee in Connecticut
carynw-45
on 3/25/11 5:57 am - Houston, TX
First of all I would like to say sorry for your lost.  Thank you for your advice I truely appreciate it.  I also must be honest with myself I need to stop going to the store and allowing my husband to suggest we buy chips and have once a week donut runs.  It amazes me how he never did that when I was 269lbs.  He complain to me how I had no self control and now he suggest all kinds of things ( to eat)...I realize i gave him control when there was no control to give.  I been on this site since 8am this morning and I have had the opportunity to look at alot of before and after pictures and I must honestly admit, I am where I am in my weight loss because of me.  I have allowed myself to get side tracked and lazy.  Putting it miley.  Once again thank you and I will do just as you suggested.. Thanks
Hermosa L
on 3/25/11 2:46 am
I don't drink skim milk anymore instead I use Almond Milk lactose free and I get 8 ounces for 45 calories... I use it in my protein shakes, high fiber cereal and to cook my oatmeal

Cottage cheese I eat on the rare but I prefer the lactos free kind

But I do eat 1-2 servings of cheese a day but I gave it up in things that I don't taste the diference.
For example.. I used to make my egg scramble with egg whites or egg beaters, ham or turkey low sodium, salsa and cheese. Now I omit the cheese and it doesn't really need it... this way I taste the egg more and I knock off those calories.

But when I'm eating deli roll ups.. I have to have the cheese ... a few slices of low sodium ham or turkey and 2 slices of WW cheese colby jack.. and some veggies on the side.

I also really try to mix up what I eat daily... I don't consume a protein bar everyday or shake everyday for breakfast. I mix it up between protein shake w/almond milk and 1/2 banana, oatmeal w/almond milk, high fiber cereal w/almond milk, deli roll ups, egg whites with wennie hewbrew 99% fat free ones 35 calories each, sometimes 1/2 a sandwich thin with 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese and 2 pieces of low sodium turkey, cottage cheese lactose free with pear so I think what helps me is the variety.. 

Most Active