Lap-band after having a baby

nursediez
on 4/1/11 6:29 am
Hello I just recently had my first baby....which I am very happy about.....I had a complete unfill when I found out I was pregnant...now I have about 57 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight...How soon after you had your baby were you able to get a fill?
 B.S.N., R.N.

BroomHilda
on 4/1/11 8:04 am, edited 4/1/11 8:04 am
Hello My Fellow Bandster Mama,

First I want to say congratulations on making your way into motherhood. Let me say it is a hoot. I just had my first baby 8 1/2 months ago. I made the mistake of keeping the fluid in my band the entire pregnancy without any argument from my surgeon or OB. Since they could tell the baby was growing appropriately and I was on target with weight gain all were fine with it.  Right? Wrong! I had to pay the ultimate price. I wish my surgeon would of been more helpful . My band slipped from the stress of the delivery and I ended up having to be completely unfilled 3 months after my son was born and waiting in misery if my band would be okay or if it would have to be removed. With that I gained 25lbs  but I am happy to report that my band is super and has gone back to the correct position (I AM SO LUCKY) and are now able to start getting my fills again.

Here is the information I have gathered from all of this:

Depending on your band and the fluid level in your band you can keep the fluid inside your band up until 8 weeks prior to delivery or around the 3rd trimester. But don't be stupid like me play it safe otherwise you will pay for it in the end

For Example I have a 10 cc Lap Band AP band with only 3.5 CC inside 

Then around 6-12 weeks depending on your body it is safe to begin small conservative fills to get yourself back on track.

Here my stats; I kept the fluid 3.5cc in my band during my entire pregnancy gained 25lbs of baby weight, lost 17 lbs after the baby went to the doctor found out the terrible news and had to be unfilled for 3mths and then I gained 15lbs so in a nutshell I gained what I lost and now have to work off 30lbs to be back to prebaby weight.

Today I weigh 183lbs

Wish you tons of luck and I believe you can do it

Broom

Starting Weight 346.7lbs Current Weight 199lbs Goal Weight 150lb
Most Active