anyone use ritalin or adderall for weight loss????

carol468
on 5/28/11 2:17 am
I had lapband surgery February 16 and have also been taking ritalin to help control my appetite.  I was just wondering if anyone else has ever taken it for this reason.  I've lost 27 lbs, but I wi**** was more....
crystal M.
on 5/28/11 2:31 am - Joliet, IL
They allow you to take those for weight loss.  I thought you had to have ADD and weight loss was just a happy side effect. 
psychomom
on 5/28/11 6:33 am - China Grove, NC
My son takes Adderrall for ADHD and lost alot of weight. We have to MAKE  him eat most of the time.Didn't know they would let you take it for that reason though. I thought if you did not have ADHD it was like speed.

gee1963
on 5/28/11 7:48 am - Ankeny, IA
VSG on 02/27/13
My son is ADHD and takes it. The weight loss eventually evens out. I asked the DR about it once for wieght loss and they said it would be a very short term affect for us if at all since we are hardly hyper

*~Gina~*HW 338 (10/2009), banded 07/22/10 298, removed 11/29/12, sleeved 2/27/13. (CW)   214 dr scale 3/19/13   

grannymedic1
on 5/28/11 8:07 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I don't believe it is a good idea. You risk hypertension and all the other side effects of any medication. Now that you have your band work with it. Of course you will have to ween off the stuff quite slowly to avoid trouble, but the wls is to have a tool to help us to feel satisfied as we learn new eating habits. If you find that you are unable to deal with this I would suggest counseling with someone familiar with eating disorders.

As for only losing 27 pounds, congratulations,  you are actually right on track. With a band the normal weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. Increase your activity, get your protein and fluids in and you will do well. Any time you need a boost come here and someone will give it. Come also for the reminders of why you subjected yourself to an invasive surgery.

Good luck, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

veenie73
on 5/28/11 9:36 am - Louisville, KY
My daughter takes Focaline XR for ADHD and its takes her appetite away. But when it wears off, she eats like she has not eaten in days. It does keep her wt down. You should be very careful with those meds because if you have a issue with your heart  it can mess with your heart. My daugher had to get an EKG and an ECHO before she could take the meds. Me, I wouldn't take that kind of meds for wt lost. It slows you down. I don't know what it would do, if you don't have ADHD. Is the band not working for you??  That you would have to take the meds for wt lost with the band.  I don't know, thats just my opinion. Congrats on your wt lost.
GOOD LUCK!!

Lynn
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time...   

sesmith
on 5/28/11 10:45 am
 The original use of stimulants is for weight loss. I have been on adderoll for over 10 years for ADD. It is safe used appropriately. It is being prescribed, not bought on the street.
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 12:04 am
If you do not have ADD/ADHD, then this is pure stupidity. You're playing with fire. Why not shove your face in a bag of coke???
carol468
on 5/29/11 5:45 am
My doctor is not stupid and neither am I!!!!  She prescribed it to me as a appetite suppresant and it seems to work for alot of people.  I've never taken street drugs and never plan to, your comment has really upset me thanks alot.....
Justlookingforadvice
on 8/3/11 6:30 am
 Don't feel bad carol468.  I'm new to sites like these and while looking through them, I've realized that a LOT of people get REALLY "preachy" on these sites.  I think nasty comments are uncalled for and unneccessary.  I think people believe they have a valid point or concern but there are certainly better ways to get that point across other than being mean and insulting.  Obviously if we are on this site, we have enough to question about ourselves without adding others insults.

That being said, I too have struggled with my weight and the older I get, the harder it is to keep it off.  I was diagnosed with adult ADHD and perscribed Concerta.  Though I didn't begin taking it for weight loss, it was a wonderful side effect for me since I needed to lose the weight.  I also think that the issues that are being discussed stem from abuse of the medication.  If it is used as prescribed and not taken in quantities above what is prescribed, I think it is safe.  The fact that it has been abused by those that aren't given a legitimate prescription for it has made it something that it isn't.

I follow this rule: "Until you've walked in someone's shoes, you shouldn't judge them". So, don't let any comments on any boards get you down - keep on fighting.  How is it going now for you?
Most Active