new here and wanting to know ... ?

coconutatthebeach
on 5/30/11 11:04 pm
 First off, Hi. How ya' doin'? I'm new here. Glad to be here.
 I've been wondering about something. I'm 60 years old and 5'3" tall. I sit at a desk working at a computer so my activity level is low. I wanted to know how many calories I should be taking in to maintain my weight at 125?

My weight is beginning to sneaking up on me and I don't want that to happen. I started counting W.W. points and, boy , I was surprised to find out how far over the daily points level I am. It is really an eye opener  when you start writing down the food you eat. I didn't think I was that bad.

Anyone know? 

barbara314
on 5/30/11 11:10 pm
Go to  http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm and put in your age, weight, height, and how active you are.  It will calculate your calories.
~ Barbara

grannymedic1
on 5/30/11 11:37 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Hi and welcome! First off you can do a search online for BMR calculators that will give you your basal metabolic rate, which is how many calories your body uses to maintain itself.

If you are able to eat much more than before perhaps you need a fill. This would be a great time to see your surgeon, tell them what is going on, and even see the nut. They are there to help you. You can also go back to the basics and plan to eat 3-4 oz. of dense protein and some veggies to see how you do. If that isn't enough to hold you 3-4 hours then you probably do need a fill, even a small one. Fluid does slowly leak or evaporate so it is very possible.

I am also 61 years old and 5'4''. I cannot go as low on weight as you have, but boy if I am not paying attention it can creep up in a hurry.

At some point you will have to decide whether to cut calories very low or increase your activity levels. I understand that at our age and still working doesn't leave a ton of energy for exercise but if you can sneak walks into your lunch time or do chair exercises at break can be easy. As we age we lose muscle mass so some weights can help, core exercises help to maintain flexibility and stability (as well as making us look good), and weight bearing exercises help build bone mass, essential for us.

Come here often, continue weighing, measuring, and logging your food, and see your surgeon. I will bet you can get this licked in no time. Nice to meet you, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

kathkeb
on 5/31/11 2:23 am
Those BMR calculators are generally not accurate for people who have been obese for a long period of time.

My BMR calculates at about 2,500 calories a day - and I cannot eat anywhere near that and maintain.

I eat about 1,200 calories and 1/2 of the calories that I burn through exercise (as calculated by my heart rate monitor).

WW Points Plus is about 35 calories per point (it is more sophisticated than that based on carbs/fiber/protein/fat content) --- and if you are at your WW goal, you would be having about 36 points a day (29 is the minimum plus 6 per day for maintenance). 

That calculates out to be about 1,225 calories per day ---- with the Weekly Points Allowance giving you approximately 250 more per day.

I think that you should track/calculate your current intake for a few days -- and then try to go under that by 300 - 500 calories a day for a week and see if you lose ----

When you get back to your comfortable weight, then you can start to add 50 - 100 calories per day for a week or 2 and see if you gain/lose/maintain --- and you will find your personal maintenance level.
Kath

crystal M.
on 5/31/11 4:21 am - Joliet, IL
I agree with Kath.  Those BMR calculators seem to be way off.  When I saw how much they said I could eat and still lose weight.....I laughed.  I think they work for "normal" people.  Obese people have metabolisms that either never really worked right or we messed our metabolism up gaining all this weight and losing weight and gaining...back and forth.  I do think you Kath gave you a great suggestion, with Weigh****chers you can watch your points and eat healthy.  Also, I do think you should try to fit more activity into your routine.  I have a job that requires me to sit for 10+ hours a day.  So I am in the same boat as you.  I walk on my break and at lunch.  Just to get my blood pumping...I don't really count that towards my exercise.  Which I do daily after work. 

Good luck on maintaining
Most Active