Lose weight prior to surgery for ins approval?

Grider
on 6/5/11 4:16 am - Clearwater, FL
I read in one blog  that a person was denied by the insurance, due to the fact they did not loose any weight during the 6 or 3 month medically supervised weight loss plan? any one have this issue? and by the way, I am getting great information with the sharing of information here, I will be ready when the time comes! thanks all.
vlp1968
on 6/5/11 6:32 am
I do believe it's standard procedure for insurance companies to require some weight loss. However, I don't know why. Seems like if you could loose the weight on your own you wouldn't need surgery.
mstrip59
on 6/5/11 7:08 am
my insurance did not require weight loss but ask for a year long record of attempts at weight loss and/or weight related co-morbids. I can't not remember how this requirement was met I just remember I presented this to my PCP and it was handled.
healthyonmyway
on 6/5/11 7:15 am - FL
I was required by BCBS to be medically supervised for 6 months. In this time I stayed the exact same weight and I was approved.

4/10/11 Start weight 250; 5/25/11 Surgery weight 237.50        
Elizabeth Slaybaugh
on 6/5/11 9:35 am - SC
i had to lose 10% of my weight in order to be approved for surgery. i have BCBST.

Grider
on 6/5/11 10:29 am - Clearwater, FL
Don't know what the T stands for I have BCBS Fed program and I know much changed from 2010 to 2011. Seems 2010 everyone was approved, 2011 they got much stricter. I just want to plan what might be expected and save myself a dissapointing denial. I am borderline 40 bmi and pretty healthwise, for now,
naph_jam
on 6/5/11 11:56 am - Murfreesboro, TN
When I had my surgery, I had Cigna for the state of TN.  I had to do a 6 month supervised weight loss program, maybe lost about 5lbs or so before approval.  I did lose about 10 lbs in the weeks prior to surgery on my doctors advice.  On a side note, my insurance changed to BCBS for the state in January of this year.  So far, they have continued to cover my fills, but the co-pay went up a bit.  I go in every 6 weeks per surgeon's recommendation.  I've always heard that the BCBS fed program is much better than the state one.  Your surgeon's office may have a person on staff who deals with the insurance and is something of an expert (mine did); maybe you can call them and ask.

Most Active