Which came first the Obesity or the DEPRESSION?

Mahana
on 6/8/11 6:08 pm - AZ
So I was up till 5am again..unable to sleep, when I saw a Dr. on public television who wrote a book "FIX your brain Fix your body" or something like that. He made alot of very valid statements about depression and obesity link..undiagnosed ADHD and Obesity link...etc. the things he described, descibe ME as being COMPULSIVE eater..unable to sleep, going all day without eating, then being unable to sleep getting up and eating 5000 calories.
Am I depressed because I'm fat? or am I fat because I'm depressed? I don't remember being young (and athletic) and being depressed...I just rememberd ....living life.
Has anybody here had any experience with the supplement 5-HTP?? thinking of trying it..but not sure how this will efffect my upcoming LAP-BAND surgery. Any experiences or insights would be greatly appreciated!
-The wife of Johnny Lingo-    
Lifebeauty
on 6/9/11 12:44 am
To be honest for me food pacifier came first.  Didn't know I could be depressed until my husband had a stroke.  I was 52 when he had his stroke, he was 54. 
Yes, I used food as a pacifier, learned it as a child.  So the pacifier really came first then obesity. 
Now I'm trying to learn not to use food as a pacifier then I can get rid of the obesity and not get depressed.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Hermosa L
on 6/9/11 2:48 am
Food pacifier ... I like that.. my dad was a cook and not overly expressive of his feelings.. so he showed me his love in food.. so food became the basis of all my emotions.. happy YAY lets celebrate lets EAT... something bad happens.. this sucks.. lets eat some ice cream to console.

After my surgery I was getting better until my dad passed away and all I did was consume and consume and consume .... the first thing I did was reach for that food pacifier to console me. I too am learning not to turn back to those bad habits when things suck.. I am in the moment with my issues...

Mahana
on 6/9/11 6:40 pm - AZ
I was 6 or 7..when my Auntie's drunk ex-husband told me one day.."when you grow up people will say to you that you have a pretty face...but too bad you're so FAT"......that stuck with me for the rest of my life. even during the short durations of my life where I was actually thin...starving myself....all day everyday...thin. My own father had his own issues with food...he was a closeted bulemic for as long as I can remember. I remember going out to eat and him excusing himself to go to the restroom. He'd come back with swollen eyes...and smelling like puke.
Even when i was an athlete and weighed 105 lbs..he would tell me, "hey ur really starting to look great...just 10 or 15 more lbs..."  OMG! as a mother of 4 kids..I wonder..WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING?
Stephanie M.
on 6/9/11 1:03 am
For me, it was the abuse, guilt, depression then weight gain....followed by more depression, guilt and more weight gain.  I also have SADD which is a seasonal depression from sunlight deprivation.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 11:53 am - Des Moines, IA

Hey Steph,
have you tried a SADD light?  I bought one last Fall and used it to see if it would make the winter season seem a little less dreary and I think it helped.  I was never diagnosed with SADD, but my mood is really effected by the light.  I love a sunny day and hate dreary dark cold days.

Stephanie M.
on 6/9/11 12:09 pm
I have one and use it from about Nov 1 to April 1 when I am in the PNW.  It has a timer and goes on automatically...pretty cool.  This last fall was the first one that I didn't gain 8-10 lbs and actually lost 8 lbs...yea me!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Mahana
on 6/9/11 6:34 pm - AZ
My father has SADD. He was in the Navy and his last duty station before retirement was St. MO...and while he was there, he was MISERABLE...DEPRESSED...very unlike himself. He up and moved to the land of sunshine..ARIZONA..he's been here since 1995...and absolutely loves it! I never knew that SADD existed untill my father's diagnoses.
Lisaizme
on 6/9/11 9:07 am - TX
I take 5-HTP, but didn't start taking it till after surgery.  It's effect on me is mild mood wise, but as a mild appetite suppressant, I can tell the difference when I'm out of them.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Stephanie M.
on 6/9/11 11:24 am
What is 5-HTP LIsa??

Most Active