HAD MY LAP BAND 3 DAYS AGO

onmyway06062011
on 6/9/11 2:25 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

hi i had my band on monday and i am having a hard time gettng all the fluids they want me to have in. they told me my goal should be 64 oz but i can only get in about 16 oz although each day it is a little easier to get more in. tomorrow i go to full liquids which may be easier to get more in. it just causes like a pain when i swallow and when the fluid  gets to a certain point i figure its swelling.any suggestions thanks...

steelerfan1
on 6/9/11 2:34 am
Just take in as much as you can and as often as you can. If you start feeling like you are going to throw up , back off. Throwing up is the last thing you want right now just coming out of surgery.

Just do your best and if you said its getting better and better every day then go with that

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Hermosa L
on 6/9/11 2:40 am
Can you have popiscles .. ice... I did that along with the water sip sip .. I know it's difficult but it will get easier..

Welcome :)
Dev *.
on 6/9/11 2:52 am - Austin, TX
Do you feel like the liquid just "sits there" for a while before going down? If you have a lot of swelling, sometimes they can do a short course of steroids to help the swelling go down. If it is getting better already you may not need that though.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Chelsea D.
on 6/9/11 3:25 am
I was just banded yesterday and my nutritionist said to get in as much as possible and to try to be at my 64 oz per day at least by the end of the weekend. You probably are swollen just do the best you can to avoid dehydration.
Ambelina
on 6/9/11 4:31 am - Salem, OR
1st - Congratulations~~~~~!!!!!

It can be challenging to get in all the fluids.  They gave me the 64oz goal & said to just keep fluids next to me whenever I'm awake & sip as much as possible.  I really could only sip.  Normal swallows of water were just too much for me with the post-op swelling.  I sucked on ice cubes & SF popsicles so the fluid would also just drip down my throat - anything we could think of to get enough fluids in during the early stages.  It'll get easier.  Hang in there! 
Highest 298; Pre-op: 279; PreOp BMI 41.  CW: 188 & Current BMI: 30!!!!! Thank you Lord for Dr Nair!!!
1st Goal 248;  2nd Goal 230 met!!!! 7/2010;  3rd Goal 215 - met 9/18/10!!!; 4th Goal 200 - 12/20/2010...  Surgeons goal met - I'd like to lose a litte more.  

Lisaizme
on 6/9/11 6:09 am - TX
My doctor's post-op orders say 64oz and then go on to say it may take a few days or even a week to be able to work up to that amount.

Remember a lot of things counts as a liquid.  Even jello counts as a liquid believe it or not (at least according to my doc.. ydmv).
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

onmyway06062011
on 6/9/11 6:36 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14
thank you everyone for your suggestions. i actually could not drink anything cold since surgery it hurt too much but with your suggestions i tried the sf popsicles this afternoon and it was still painful but not as bad thank you all again for the help

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 6:38 am - Des Moines, IA
16 ounces isn't much, is your surgeon aware of this?  Are you dizzy or light headed?  Is your urine dark?  If so you might want to call them.  If you  get dehydrated you might get nauseated and you don't want to vomit. 

Did they put fluid in your band and leave it in?  Some surgeons do that and a I've read where some have had to have fluid removed to get in adequate fluid.

Hope it gets easier for you soon!
Kristi
marl16
on 6/9/11 7:10 am - NJ
i'm 3 weeks out.  there was NO WAY i could get the recommended 64 oz in as well as protein.  I found the unjury and isopure to be difficult to manage just b/c i didn't feel great.  I figured i would just concentrate on getting in as much fluids as i could.  I couldn't eat an entire jello single serving container in a sitting but got in as much as i could.  I agree with tetrarose if it con't call the doc..you don't want to get dehydrated.

good luck

Most Active